• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MAES 4-19-2010 Treatment of ME/CFS should target the pathophysiological aberrations

Frank

Treatment of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), a multisystem disease, should target the pathophysiological aberrations (inflammatory and oxidative and nitrosative stress pathways), not the psychosocial “barriers” for a new equilibrium

Received 4 November 2009 published online 19 March 2010.
Corrected Proof
Abstract

In a recent article published by B. van Houdenhove and P. Luyten it is claimed that cognitive behavioral therapy and graded exercise therapy (CBT/GET) are evidence based and are the most adequate treatments to control symptoms and improve quality of life of patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). However, these authors do not disclose that their own treatments at the Belgian CFS Reference Centers with CBT/GET have proven to have no clinical effects. The Belgian minister declared in the parliament that CBT/GET at those centers are no curative therapies. Even more, measured by objective standards the CBT/GET approach has shown to be counterproductive. van Houdenhove and Luyten neglect or deny all scientific findings on the pathophysiology and possible medical treatments of ME/CFS. However, there is now a consensus that inflammatory and oxidative and nitrosative (IO&NS) pathways underpin the pathophysiology of ME/CFS in humans and in animal models as well. Human and animal data show that treatments which target IO&NS pathways are useful in treating ME/CFS. van Houdenhove and Luyten also propose that the time has come to shift treatment research in CFS from efficacy studies to effectiveness studies in ‘real life’. In our opinion, future research should use a high throughput screening, made possible by the translational approach, in order to further examine the IO&NS pathways in detail; further delineate novel drug-targets in the IO&NS pathways and develop new drugs to treat this complex and serious medical disorder.

http://www.pec-journal.com/article/S0738-3991(10)00051-0/abstract

leelaplay

Hi Frank,

I'm so glad that you posted this. Maes and Twisk seem to be the Belgian equivalent of Jason - on-going relevant publishing. And they maybe have the best titles in the business.

I'm going to re-post with my bolds and spacing technique as I can't read a big block of text. As usual, if anyone has access to the full text, a look would be appreciated.

Treatment of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), a multisystem disease,

should target the pathophysiological aberrations (inflammatory and oxidative and nitrosative stress pathways),

not the psychosocial barriers for a new equilibrium

Received 4 November 2009 published online 19 March 2010.

Abstract

In a recent article published by B. van Houdenhove and P. Luyten it is claimed that cognitive behavioral therapy and graded exercise therapy (CBT/GET) are:

evidence based and

are the most adequate treatments to control symptoms and improve quality of life of patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS).

However, these authors do not disclose that:

their own treatments at the Belgian CFS Reference Centers with CBT/GET have proven to have no clinical effects.

The Belgian minister declared in the parliament that CBT/GET at those centers are no curative therapies.

Even more, measured by objective standards the CBT/GET approach has shown to be counterproductive.

van Houdenhove and Luyten neglect or deny all scientific findings on the pathophysiology and possible medical treatments of ME/CFS.

However, there is now a consensus that inflammatory and oxidative and nitrosative (IO&NS) pathways underpin the pathophysiology of ME/CFS in humans and in animal models as well. Human and animal data show that treatments which target IO&NS pathways are useful in treating ME/CFS.

van Houdenhove and Luyten also propose that the time has come to shift treatment research in CFS from efficacy studies to effectiveness studies in real life. In our opinion, future research should use a high throughput screening, made possible by the translational approach, in order to further examine the IO&NS pathways in detail; further delineate novel drug-targets in the IO&NS pathways and develop new drugs to treat this complex and serious medical disorder

I don't understand the terminology in the last paragraph. I infer that the psychologists are proposing an end to scientific research and to only use psychology. The scientists are proposing further scientific research leading to the development of actual drugs that will treat a medical problem.

K

_Kim_

I tried to access the full text, but the DOI number posted on the journal website is either: not yet active or is inaccurate. I'll check back in a week or two.

I agree about the titles i.f. - and their ability to churn out good and relevant articles at quite a pace.

Treatment of ME/CFS should target the pathophysiological aberrations...

Hey there,

In order to prevent potential confusion....

I am not a Belgian doctor,
but a Dutch patient,
working together with dr. Maes
to get relevant facts published in scientific journals.

Dr. Maes is a Belgian psychologist who believes/has demonstrated that
many "psychological disorders" are in fact organical (read: inflammatory) diseases:
a view which doesn't make him very popular among his peers.

And yes...
We advocate for medical therapies aimed at inflammation, infections, oxidative stress etc.
not at therapies aimed at "psychosocial barriers" (as proposed by van Houdenhove, Wessely etc.).

Frank