The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mady Hornig: tea-time at Simmaron and some early gut findings

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    zzz, Simon, Sidereal and 9 others like this.
  2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Revolting Peasant

Scotland
    Fascinating comment about Dr Peterson's perceptive subtyping of his patients into classic and atypical.

Also of interest to the gut enthusiasts who have been Resistant Starching or taking C. butyricum:

adreno, Sidereal, Sasha and 1 other person like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    When I was reading this I was thinking it might give a 3D spectrum on subgrouping - severity, duration and typicality.

4. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    Is there a video or audio of this presentation (Simmaron tea?) available anywhere online?

5. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    several interesting things there, worth the read and encouraging. Seems they are steaming ahead with their wor, which is great given our current situation.

Sasha likes this.
  6. msf

msf Senior Member

Looking forward to part 2!

7. msf

msf Senior Member

I knew I didn´t have enough serotonin!

8. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)

RL_sparky likes this.
  9. SOC

SOC

[my bolding]

How does this fit with the strongly held belief of some members that ME is only an autoimmune disease, and that immune down-regulation and chronic infections do not exist in ME?

I don't quite follow this sentence. Is @Cort saying that classical patients have more immune down-regulation while complex atypical patients have higher (more normal?) levels of the measured immune factors? Or that complex atypical patients have immune up-regulation? Or something else entirely? :confused:

Here's another sentence I'm having trouble following:
    How so? Does this mean the the immune dysregulation in atypical patients is less clear, or nonexistent, or in the opposite direction to the immune dysregulation in classical patients?

Does this suggest that the group Dr. Peterson is calling complex atypical may have an autoimmune disease, while those he calls classical have chronic infection leading to immune down-regulation? Two subsets, or even two entirely separate diseases? It seems like it's looking less like different stages of the same illness, although that's not entirely clear to me based on this article.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  10. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    You might want to post a question on Cort's blog, @SOC - he might be more likely to see it there.

SOC and sarah darwins like this.
  11. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Wow, hadn't heard that before.

bertiedog, rosie26, Valentijn and 4 others like this.
  12. Helen

Helen Senior Member

"That nice concurrence between immune findings in the spinal fluid and in the blood was encouraging, and the group is digging deeper into those CSF samples. Thus far a factor called cortisol binding globulin (CBG) has popped up in protein analyses. "

Like @Bob I found this interesting. Did it "pop up" as a high or low value? As the CBG has to do with the distribution of cortisol in blood and so many of us seem to have cortisol disturbances with great impact on health it would be interesting to know if it might be of genetic reasons the CBG value isn´t normal in PWME. @Valentijn, can you possibly see anything odd in your n=50 material from 23andme?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcortin

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    adreno and Valentijn like this.
  13. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

I've looked at that gene (SERPINA6) before, with the 31 patients I have full data and roughly matched controls for. We're totally normal - more so than the controls even.

Sidereal and Helen like this.
  14. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    This sounds like happy-talk based on hand waving at the recent CFSAC meeting. Some people watching the meeting thought the NIH rep was sympathetic, while she was mindlessly repeating the party line about lazy researchers won't repeatedly resubmit grant applications and the ones that do are too stupid to fill out the forms properly.

15. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I thought she was sympathetic and constructive and relatively well-informed. I thought we'd do well to have ME moved to her department. (Can't remember her name.)

Edit: There were more than one reps from HHS present, and we may be talking about different people. I wasn't impressed with another rep who I remember talking about a lack of applications etc.

Edit 2: The rep I liked was Dr. Vicky Whittemore from the National Institute of Neurological Diseases and Stroke.

mango, SOC, Simon and 1 other person like this.
  16. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Perhaps it fits the recent autoantibody research too? i.e. adrenergic receptors. (But I don't know how adrenergic receptors would interact with CBG.)

Helen and Valentijn like this.
  17. adreno

adreno PR activist

Well, there is this:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...e-corticosteroid-binding-globulin-gene.32332/

Helen likes this.
  18. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I think there were two NIH reps - one who favourably impressed me and one who didn't.

Bob likes this.
  19. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Yes, we liked Dr. Vicky Whittemore from the National Institute of Neurological Diseases and Stroke.

Sasha, waiting and Simon like this.

See more popular forum discussions.