AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mady Hornig: How do you solve a problem like CFS?

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Phoenix Rising Team

Phoenix Rising Team

View the Post on the Blog

View the Post on the Blog

2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Thanks, Simon - another great article. We're lucky to have you explaining this stuff to us so clearly!

Simon likes this.
  3. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Excellent article, Simon! We are very fortunate to have brilliant researchers like Dr Hornig working on ME/CFS.

Little Bluestem and Simon like this.
  4. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Thanks! And I agree we are really lucky to have people like Mady Hornig on the case, I think it's going to make a big difference. She's also seems genuinely concerned about patients, and willing to engage with them too. She was very good about answering quite a few detailed questions, and she will be speaking at this year's Invest in ME Conferernce in May - about her pathogen study.

Valentijn, Ember and Sasha like this.
  5. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    "They infected mice with the same bacteria that cause strep throat and found obsessive-compulsive behaviour similar to that seen in humans (for mice it includes repeated back-flipping)."

I thought that was just me. Maybe that's why I'm so tired?
    backflip.gif

Thanks for the article Simon, I thought it was great, and really exciting how Mady Hornig works.

rosie26, John Mac, heapsreal and 5 others like this.
  6. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    Thanks indeed SImon, i saw on the news in the last few days a new treatment for HIV - a pill they give patients for 2 weeks which causes the (?latent) virsus to emerge so they can they hit it.

Sorry do not recall more details sucha s name of drug or place ,...though i suspect it was in Australia. I saw it ont he evening news ulletin so likely the ABC.

7. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    That animation is absolutely brilliant! Great work.

Actually, Mady Hornig had a video clip of the mouse back flipping in her presentation but due to a technical glitch it wouldn't play :(

I saw that too, amazing stuff. Latency is a big reason they thought HIV could never be cured: as a retrovirus it integrates into your normal DNA - if its replicating drugs can block the replication and along with immune system can kill those cells too. If its latent and just sitting there in a dormant state it's completely safe, and can then reactivate later. Study was presented at the Retrovirus conference in Atlanta by an Oz professor, but hasn't been peer-reviewed or published yet.

maryb and Allyson like this.
  8. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    Thanks Simon
    I have to admit that I'm mightily impressed with Mady Hornig's approach.

rosie26 and Simon like this.
  9. Overstressed

Overstressed Senior Member

Belgium
    Thanks Simon, great article! This is off-topic, but do you know if she's married ? ;)
    Personally I think, if she would find a pathogen, I think she would be able to solve many neurological conditions.

Best regards,
    OS.

rosie26 and jimells like this.
  10. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Mady Hornig quote
    Mady Hornig has been it touch to say how pleased she was to have her work featured here, and also said this, which I quote with permission:
    I was very touched by that.

Sorry, OS, can't help!

rosie26, Kati, SpecialK82 and 6 others like this.
  11. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    That's great - as a patient, I'm really delighted to hear that from a researcher.

Kati and Blue like this.
  12. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    Simon, do you have any idea how long the PANDAS research took? As in, was it months, years, or decades?

Thanks for another great article. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Simon likes this.
  13. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Thanks:) I think PANDAS work has gone on for decades, but I think Hornig's PANDAS work on mice was over a couple of years, but not really sure.

14. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks a lot Simon.

It made learning fun! It was really nice to read something informative that wasn't a challenge to get through. Looking forward to future articles.

Simon likes this.
  15. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Thanks - glad you enjoyed it. You should have seen the original talk: brilliant, but almost in Greek if you're a non-scientist. Will try to reduce everything to cartoon mice and pot-smoking where possible.

16. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I'm grateful for the Beano version. Thanks a lot for working out how to translate her talk for the rest of us.

Simon likes this.
  17. beaker

beaker CFS/ME 1986

USA
    Thanks for the article. It's nice to know we have someone like that on our team !

Simon likes this.
  18. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
  19. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

Simon: Thanks. Hornig seems to be a great scientist. In a few years, we all should be able to have whole genome sequencing done at a reasonable price. This will be a point, where a wave of new information will flood the medical field. Scientists like Hornig hopefully will benefit from this.

Simon likes this.
  20. CallieAndToby

CallieAndToby Senior Member

florida
    It can happen in teenagers and young adults also (the pandas or pans).

See more popular forum discussions.