Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Macrophage Accumulation of Triglycerides Yields Insights Into Atherosclerosis

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Overstressed, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Overstressed

Overstressed Senior Member

Belgium
    Macrophage Accumulation of Triglycerides Yields Insights Into Atherosclerosis
    ScienceDaily (Oct. 1, 2012) — A research report appearing in the Journal of Leukocyte Biology helps explain how specific immune cells, called macrophages, accumulate triglycerides to support their function. Because a characteristic finding in atherosclerosis is the accumulation of fat in macrophages in the arterial wall, understanding how macrophages accumulate triglycerides may lead to new approaches toward slowing or stopping the development of atherosclerosis.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121001125235.htm

Best regards,
    OS.

Sherlock, merylg, Chris and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    Here is the abstract (the sciencedaily article gets it wrong as the 'Journal Reference'):
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22753953#
    'Mechanisms of triglyceride accumulation in activated macrophages.'
    Note that it says, "Whereas activation with ligands of TLR2 (zymosan), TLR3 (poly I:C), or TLR4 (LPS) induced alterations in macrophage gene expression, leading to TG accumulation, treatment of macrophages with cytokines had minimal effects."

So that seems to say that having hyperimmune overactivation from signalling chemicals is not as bad as when the macrophage has actually got hold of a pathogen.

(TLR = Toll Like Receptor)

See more popular forum discussions.