• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Macrolides and potassium

pattismith

This is the first potassium testing I have made before supplementing in the table below.

A month before, I had stopped an antibiotic course with Doxy and Azithro that lasted 4 months.
It released me from spinal pains.
But I was exhausted, with many side effects that never resolved after the end of the course:
burning muscles, twitching muscles, heavy legs and arms, weakness.

View attachment 25229

I finally got the answer of this association between lower potassium with higher lactates I noticed in my blood!

The antibiotic course has generate or agravate a muscle channelopathy (sodium or calcium channelopathy).

Here, I learnt from the genetic disease associated with that kind of impairment that it induces a flux of potassium from the plasma to the muscle cells concomitant with a flux of lactates from the muscle cells to the blood.

I am not the only one that got muscles side effects from Macrolides or Tetracyclynes...What would be interesting would be to find why we got it.
Do we have a genetic channelopathy with low clinical outcome until we take these drugs*? Do we have an auto-immune channelopathy or an infectious channelopathy? Still a lot of questions!

*According to this paper,
"It is an autosomal dominant disorder, which is accompanied by muscle weakness or paralysis and occurs more frequently in males, with incomplete penetrance and later onset observed in affected females. Some cases may present as sporadic because of the incomplete penetrance of the disease, mostly in women.