New era for ME/CFS research as top cytokine study attracts media headlines
The immune systems of patients who have recently developed ME/CFS look markedly different from those who have been ill for much longer, according to a major new study from Drs. Ian Lipkin and Mady Hornig at Columbia University. This shift in immune function hadn’t been seen before.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

M.E. caused by enterovirus?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by knackers323, Jan 24, 2014.

1. end

end *****

@Raindrop

Blood testing relays specificity but less sensitive, done only via ARUP

Biopsy via endoscopy x4 relays high sensitivity but lacks specificity, VP1 only done via EV Med

Sammy and Antares in NYC like this.
  2. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

The fidelity of the 5D8/1 antibody against VP1 was confirmed in this paper from February. From the paper:

RESULTS:
    Clone 5D8/1 labelled CKB, but not ATP5B, on western blots performed under denaturing conditions. In cultured human cell lines, isolated human islets and pancreas sections from patients with type 1 diabetes, the immunolabelling of ATP5B, CKB and VP1 by 5D8/1 was readily distinguishable. Moreover, in a human tissue microarray displaying more than 80 different cells and tissues, only two (stomach and colon; both of which are potential sites of enterovirus infection) were immunopositive when stained with clone 5D8/1.

CONCLUSIONS/INTERPRETATION:
    When used under carefully optimised conditions, the immunolabelling pattern detected in sections of human pancreas with clone 5D8/1 did not reflect cross-reactivity with either ATP5B or CKB. Rather, 5D8/1 is likely to be representative of enteroviral antigen expression.

end, MeSci and Hip like this.
  3. jepps

jepps Senior Member

Austria
    This study writes about the mechanism, how coxsackie persists in brain and central nervous system:

4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

@jepps
    To complement that study of coxsackievirus B infected astrocytes in human cell lines, there is also an in vivo study showing that coxsackievirus B infects astrocyte cells in mice brains:
    It is particularly interesting that the cytokines IL-1β, TNF-α and IL-6 were released by this coxsackievirus B infection of mouse astrocytes, because Rönnbäck and Hansson have hypothesized that these exact three cytokines may underpin mental fatigue (they are the three main sickness behavior cytokines):
    As well as astrocytes, this study shows coxsackievirus B also seems to be able to chronically infect the neural progenitor cells (stems cells) of the brain.

In terms of how this coxsackievirus B infection manages to persist in the brain and central nervous system, this paper says that that coxsackievirus B may persist in the CNS as a low-level, noncytolytic infection.

5. jepps

jepps Senior Member

Austria
    This has nothing to do with enteroviruses in the brain, but I found it also interesting, as it shows, how coxsackie can result in autoimmunity and inflammatory disease:

http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.co.at/search/label/enterovirus

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  6. Hip

Hip Senior Member

@jepps
    I also came across that same blog article theorizing how enteroviruses might trigger autoimmunity, and started a thread on it here.

7. jepps

jepps Senior Member

Austria
    Thank you for posting this, sorry, that I did not find this. Time will see, if treating viruses and underlying causes improves our chronic disease:). But it is helpful to understand potential relationships. PR is such a good place for this.

MeSci likes this.
  8. Hip

Hip Senior Member

@jepps
    One thing to note is that the chronic inflammatory condition of coxsackievirus B (CVB) myocarditis (heart muscle inflammation) has been classed as autoimmune, but @Jonathan Edwards has pointed out that the inflammation in CVB myocarditis is not true autoimmunity.

I am guessing that chronic CVB myocarditis was perhaps thought of as an autoimmune reaction because, after the initial acute coxsackievirus B infection of the heart, no infectious viral particles can be found in the heart muscle in adult myocarditis (ref: here). Thus there was no explanation as to why the immune system keeps attacking the heart muscle in this chronic inflammatory way.

However, we now know that there appears to be a residue of non-cytolytic enteroviruses left inside the heart muscle cells after the acute CVB infection is over, and it may well be that these non-cytolytic viruses are the cause of the continued heart muscle inflammation: the immune system sees that there is still a virus inside the heart muscle cells, and so keeps attacking them.

Likewise, non-cytolytic enteroviruses living inside the astrocyte cells and neural progenitor cells of the brain may be responsible for the continued brain inflammation found in ME/CFS patients — brain inflammation that may underlie many ME/CFS symptoms.

Sparrowhawk and MeSci like this.

See more popular forum discussions.