1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Dr. Kerr, I presume?
Clark Ellis brings us a rare interview with British researcher Dr. Jonathan Kerr who is now living in Colombia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

M.E. caused by enterovirus?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by knackers323, Jan 24, 2014.

1. end

end Senior Member

@Raindrop

Blood testing relays specificity but less sensitive, done only via ARUP

Biopsy via endoscopy x4 relays high sensitivity but lacks specificity, VP1 only done via EV Med

Sammy and Antares in NYC like this.
  2. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

The fidelity of the 5D8/1 antibody against VP1 was confirmed in this paper from February. From the paper:

RESULTS:
    Clone 5D8/1 labelled CKB, but not ATP5B, on western blots performed under denaturing conditions. In cultured human cell lines, isolated human islets and pancreas sections from patients with type 1 diabetes, the immunolabelling of ATP5B, CKB and VP1 by 5D8/1 was readily distinguishable. Moreover, in a human tissue microarray displaying more than 80 different cells and tissues, only two (stomach and colon; both of which are potential sites of enterovirus infection) were immunopositive when stained with clone 5D8/1.

CONCLUSIONS/INTERPRETATION:
    When used under carefully optimised conditions, the immunolabelling pattern detected in sections of human pancreas with clone 5D8/1 did not reflect cross-reactivity with either ATP5B or CKB. Rather, 5D8/1 is likely to be representative of enteroviral antigen expression.

end, MeSci and Hip like this.

See more popular forum discussions.