• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lysine and Ammonia

dannybex

alicec

I don't have any specific information. However the first site is simply assuming that since lysine makes ornithine which in turn accepts and processes ammonia in the urea cycle, increasing lysine will necessarily increase ammonia uptake and processing.

This is a very dubious assumption. In general, negative feed-back regulation is very common in biological systems and in particular, the urea cycle is very tightly regulated and unlikely to behave so simplistically.

The other references put the proposition to the test in a whole person and show what actually happens - the opposite. I'd be more inclined to go with them.

dannybex

I had elevated ammonia in a test from 2013, and have found connections to RLS which has been bugging me big time lately, so am trying to lower it. Of course RLS has other 'causes', but am trying to cover all the bases.

Thanks for your replies everyone. :)

dannybex

Thanks @ahmo. I've been through that thread in the past and I think that's where I got the suggestion for lysine (along w/arginine and ornithine, which I do have in a supp). I'll have to check if I bookmarked any of that thread as it's now SO LONG -- too wiped to read it now.

What did you end up using to lower ammonia?

ahmo

@dannybex I started w/ yucca, until I found that it's not great long term. Then switched to ornithine. Eventually I used a combo of ornithine, arginine, citrulline, lysine. I self-tested for which I needed, not all of them every day; lysine I used the least frequently. Then I followed the suggestions of that thread, and found I was able to quit all of those aminos, using only malic acid. I did this in footbath, as I have powder and it's really nasty tasting.

dannybex

I know. I couldn't tolerate malic acid -- waaaaay too astringent/sour -- made me tighten up all over. But it is needed in the krebs cycle, so that may be how it helps? Interesting re the footbath mode.

Violeta

This study makes me come to the conclusion that I shouldn't inject lysine straight into my bloodstream.

Mainly I'm thinking that if they want to do a study on if lysine reduces ammonia, they should do it a different way.

Jeez, my brain fog is terrible. Can't even remember that I was the one who started this thread just a month ago.

sigh...

Well, a month and a half....:)

pattismith

I dont know but I suspect I have amonia problems and I feel like junk if take lysine, avoid like the plague

I have a terrible headache if I raise my Lysine intake to 3000 mg/day (ammonia maybe), so I am considering stopping it totally now that I started the T3 supplementation....
I hope my HSV1 won't take advantage of the situation and that the T3 will keep it under control, fingers crossed...:)