Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lyrica and brain synapses

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by sianrecovery, Apr 25, 2015.

1. sianrecovery

sianrecovery Senior Member

Manchester UK
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Agh... I've been on this for several years...

3. adreno

adreno PR activist

Yes, these drugs are bad news for synaptic plasticity. When neural connections are not being "exercised", they are gradually lost. It is also harder to form new connections.

sianrecovery likes this.
  4. Kina

Kina Admin Support Staff

Ontario, Canada
    The researchers say this about it:

This is one study with mice and they are basically advising that it not be used when pregnant. It is a Category C drug already:
    The website that the article comes from seems to be over alarmist.

Valentijn likes this.
  5. whodathunkit

whodathunkit Senior Member

I had an online friend about 10 years ago that got onto Lyrica when it was in human trials, and she had an awful time with it. All the sides you hear about, plus it greatly worsened her already tenuous CNS and attendant psychological problems.

Based on her experience I would not take it. Other's mileage may vary.

6. sianrecovery

sianrecovery Senior Member

Manchester UK
    Useful feedback guys, thanks

7. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I have found lyrica very useful for pain and have used it for several years now. I just take it at night to help with neuropathic pain i get in my lower legs.

I have taken extra doses during other episodes of pain such as when i have had bad back spasms and recently with shingles on my head where it worked quite well. I think it also helps improve sleep.

The only side effect i got was when i was taking it twice a day and started to put on weight. So dosing it only at night when pain is the issue has helped me avoid this side effect. I cant say i have noticed any side effects.

See more popular forum discussions.