• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lyme in Australia???

alex3619

Hi merylg, I caught the add for this yesterday but my power went down from a storm so I missed it. I suspected this is what they were going to say. My best guess is that if this is Lyme it is native and a slightly different strain, which would make our testing even more inaccurate. Also their numbers are probably wrong. If Lyme is this endemic, then the numbers are likely to be over 80,000 not just thousands. Bye, Alex

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
interesting storie, but a researcher tried to get this knowledge out 17 yrs ago about lyme in australia, maybe they just couldnt hear him, right! I would like to get tested properly for it as i have had a consistant rashes on my back and shoulders with a round target rash in middle of my back and i have had some improvement with longer term abx have helped. Doesnt the government realise that if they can treat people with this condition that they can improve them to a level that can get people and with the improvement in their condition that can earn wages and pay taxes that go towards the health system.

alex3619

Hi hixxy82, my impression is that testing IS available, but here is how you do it for cheap with the same effectiveness. Get a large crayon and a blank sheet of paper, write "Lyme test negative" and you saved yourself a whole lot of cash. Both in Australia and Canada we are finding that for reliable testing blood has to go to the USA, according to most I hear from. Bye, Alex

hixxy

Have you had lyme testing done Alex? What are the currently recommended labs/tests overseas? I've seen many different recommendations on the web. Not all of them the same!

alex3619

Hi hixxy82, I have not had Lyme testing done, but I know many who have (not from Australia though). The Australian reports I have heard of are all second hand, so I cannot be 100% sure. However, back in 1999 it was reported that there were only 7 cases of Lyme in Australia per year that were not due to overseas travel (the 1999 Sydney ME/CFS conference). Part of this will be that doctors simply don't get patients tested however. Personally, I think if you have the bulls-eye rash or were bloodsucked by a tick just prior to getting ill, then testing should be routine. Maybe if testing were more routine they would invest in better tests.

The recommendations will of course vary because they are based on experience: people try a lab and decide if they are happy with the service. Bye, Alex

taniaaust1

Tonight TodayTonight had a segment on about Lyme in Australia again. The main lymie they interviewed said she saw a doctor who has found it in several of his patients and knew right away that is what she had. Her blood was then sent to America which proved it.

I think it may of been a different one to their last one as I didnt recognise it but have seen it mentioned on one of our current affair shows before (I cant get that youtube thing up to see if it was the same).

Im one who has wondered about lyme at times too (thou I do fit the subgroup of like Dr Cheney patients with my symptoms and the ME progression he talks about).

Where I go camping.. does have ticks. I once while camping found one crawling up my tshirt towards my neck, thou it wasnt fat so I dont think it had fed on me. (only about 50% of Lymies I think it is, apparently get the bullseyes rash)

Adster

I hope Lyme in ticks is not widespread here, I've had 2 this week!

They were almost too small to see.

tick.jpg