• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lyme Disease: Discovery of other Reservoirs for ticks

Ecoclimber

Novel Animal Reservoir for Group of Tick-Borne Diseases Discovered -- And It Lives in Your Backyard

A team of scientists at Washington University in St. Louis has been keeping a wary eye on emerging tick-borne diseases in Missouri for the past dozen years, and they have just nailed down another part of the story.

They knew from earlier work that the animal reservoirs for the diseases included white-tailed deer, wild turkey and a species in the squirrel family, but the DNA assay they had used wasn't sensitive enough to identify the species.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120623094409.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed: sciencedaily/top_news/top_health (ScienceDaily: Top News -- Top Health)

What this article states is there are other reservoirs other than deer to consider in relationship to tick borne pathogens that people should consider. Since many patients on this forum suffer both from Lyme disease and ME/CFS. There is another article I posted on here about Lyme and other bacterial infections found on kittens. So it just not a stroll through the woods where you can pick up this infection from 'deer' ticks. So patients who have never been in a forest/woods, should not rule out Lyme disease in association with their illness and should be tested for such with Western Blot for a Lyme disease test.

A link to a prior post concerning Lyme:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/bartonella-the-epidemic-you’ve-never-heard-of.17859/

Eco

Wayne

There is another article I posted on here about Lyme and other bacterial infections found on kittens. So it just not a stroll through a forest where you can pick up this infection from 'deer' ticks. So patients who have never been in a forest, should not rule out Lyme disease in association with their illness and should be tested for such with Western Blot for a Lyme disease test.

Thanks for posting this. I'll also check out your other article on infections in kittens. There's a lot of evidence that Lyme, and/or co-infections, can be spread in many other ways as well, including in utero.

Wayne