1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lyme and Post Exertional Malaise

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by Ronan, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Ronan

Ronan Senior Member

Hi,

I have been sick for over 10 years now am have also been under the impression that it was ME. I have now just tested positive for Bartonella and my ME doctor says this is the probable root cause of all my problems. I am going to start treatment now for Lyme. I am cunfused about one thing though. I have always had big problems with post exertional malaise but i thought this was not a symptom of Lyme? Is this the case or is this also a Lyme symptom?

Thanks!
  2. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
  3. Ronan

Ronan Senior Member

Interesting Ema. Thanks. I was tested for Bartonella and Borrellia but not Babesia and from that thread it seems Babesia cause PEM and is often a coinfection with Lyme.
  4. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, Ronan.

I wouldn't rule out other coinfections beside Babesiosis as causes for PEM. Actually, my current view is that Lyme disease can produce ME/CFS in those who are genetically susceptible, whether or not there are coinfections. Borrelia and at least three of the coinfections have been found to produce oxidative stress, which places a demand on glutathione. Borrelia depletes cysteine and glutathione in its host. Any factor that contributes to sufficiently depleting glutathione can contribute to producing ME/CFS, in my hypothesis, and if you have ME/CFS, you will have PEM/PEF.

Best regards,

Rich
  5. Ronan

Ronan Senior Member

I'll have to ask my doc about it on my next visit and see if i should be tested for any other coinfections. I have been on GcMAF for a year and a half and he claims to be getting good results treating Lyme after patients have first got their Negalase levels into normal range before treating the Lyme.

Thanks!

See more popular forum discussions.