• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lyme and Its Connection to Thyroid / Adrenal Problems

Lotus97

I found this information on burbur:
The herb in Burbur has been traditionally used for its body cleansing properties. It is very effective in aiding detoxification of the liver, kidneys, lymphatics and the ground matrix.
I noticed that it is said to "cleanse the lymphatics" and cleavers, which is also recommended for herxing, is for cleansing the lymphatics. I was reading that the Lyme bacteria can reside in the lymphs so if you're cleansing the lymphs doesn't that mean you're releasing them into other parts of your body? I don't know for sure if this is what happened, but after getting chiropractic adjustments my Lyme rash appeared (happened twice 2-3 years apart) and I also experienced a relapse. Since the Lyme Bb also hang out in the spinal fluid I'm wondering if I disturbed them in which case I'm concerned the same thing could happen with lymphs. I would like to minimize the herx so if I'm worried about nothing then I will try these (cleavers and burbur).

Ema

Lyme bacteria do hang out in the lymph but I don't think that treating the lymph is releasing them elsewhere into the body. I think they are more than capable of going wherever they want to go on their own.

Stagnant lymph is an issue for many reasons. I wouldn't let that situation persist for fear of disturbing Lyme personally. But walking is also good for moving lymph as is rebounding on a mini tramp (I bought one with a frame to hang onto when OI was a big problem). Reiki can also help with lymphatic movement.

http://lymedisease.org/news/lyme_disease_views/lymphnodes.html

I do think it is important to support your immune system as well so that as Lyme is mobilized it can be effectively killed. Are the herbs *enough* to do that or are traditional antibiotics also required? Well, that is the million dollar question unfortunately.

Broken cell wall chlorella, vitamin C and Epsom salts can all help with the herxing as well.

Ema

Lotus97

Interesting that you mention chlorella because in a recent Q&A Buhner recommended chlorella for herxing. He also said that he's less confident about sarsaparilla now for herx support and it sounds like he's planning to remove that from the protocol. He said with sarsaparilla it's hit and miss. It's important to mention with chlorella that possibly 30% of the population has a chlorella intolerance so a person should start out with half a capsule and gradually increase to make sure they don't have that issue. Spirulina might be a good substitute unless a person doesn't want too much iron. With vitamin C, dbkita said it's one of the best ways to recycle glutathione. I wonder if that's part of why it helps.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Just as a second opinion I would have that TSH done again. I know a person that doesn't even have a thyroid anymore and will completely forget to get their prescription filled and 6 to 8 weeks later still only has TSH in the 30's, but then again that is a pituitary produced hormone. A pituitary gland having to produce that much TSH would make me think it would have to be giving up something to produce that much. I think I would still have it repeated just for peace of mind since a gland as high in hierarchy of glands go is making approximately 50 times more TSH than it should be making.

Have you ever had a MRI of the pituitary gland to rule out any type of tumor? I would also be very curious as to what Free T4 and Free T3 labs would actually show with a TSH that high.

Good luck and definitely keep us informed!

duncan

I hate talking treatments because we are all different, but I am one of those anecdotes that feel better, i.e., not as dreadful, when on abx. I have been off abx now for about six months and each day I slip down further. So I feel for you roxie60. I know you know Lyme, and I cannot help but wonder if you do that little twostep of going on and off abx, and if it helps you at all.

I know that when I am on abx, I am always profoundly aware that I may be doing damage across so many different overlapping areas that I don't even want to think of it.

But I cannot deny that it helps me, or at least seems to.

roxie60

@duncan I am doubting all treatments right now and very confused. I want tovtrust my new llmd but it is hard to trust with ten years of disappointment.

Alternating abx, trying new ones seem to be part of a strategy. We reviewed the different forms of these bugs we are trying to kill and each form needs a diffeent abx. She acknowledged we are all different and that apparently the Minocycline did mot work for me. Im back on azithromycin again but lower dose. Suppose to check back in in 4-6 weeks.

thanks for your response.

@Wayne@Ema

I just got my thyroid tested and came up with tsh of 4.36 and freeT4 of 0.79

Do you think it would be worth treating?? I have Lyme and co's and haven't made much progress so I am wondering if this isn't what is keeping me so sick?

My worst symptom is brain fog, and other neurological head sensations that drive me crazy. I also have some thyroid signs such as hair loss, spikes of anxiety, startle easily and feel super sleepy.

Have you found thyroid treatment to be helpful? If so do you have an tips for me? THANKS!!!!

I've had a Lyme diagnosis for over three years now, and this past week got a Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) blood test reading of 98.04 (normal is around 2-3 or so). I discovered in my research there is likely a connection between my diagnoses of Lyme and Hypothyroidism. Here's a link to a lengthy article: Lyme and Its Connection to Thyroid / Adrenal Problems

Here's an edited version (1 page out of a 10 page article)
I read the article that you referenced.Dana mentioned that her son was treated with amoxicillin.According to this article http://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3304646( A case of amoxicillin-induced hepatocellular liver injury with bile-duct damage) amoxicillin causes liver damage to 0.3 out of 10000 prescriptions and if the liver damage is overlooked it can cause progressive liver failure and hepatic bile duct injury.I don't know if it is relevant to your case(if antibiotics were used)but since I suspect that my CFS is undiagnosed liver disease caused by medication I think that you and others who were exposed to antibiotics need to consider the possibility of liver damage as cause of your illness/symptoms.Fatigue''of a severity that seems to be out of proportion to the patients' general medical condition''can be the main or the only symptom of liver disease/damage Hepatology 1995;5:1606 Fatigue associated with chronic liver disease:A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.