Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lyme and exercise

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by naoise, Jan 14, 2016.

1. naoise

naoise Senior Member

Hi

I have Lyme and 2 co-infections (Anaplasmosis and chlamyida pneumonia). I walk daily and go to the gym sometimes but want to get into a routine. So I've read that strength training 2 times a week is good and then up it as I feel stronger?

Does anyone else exercise with Lyme?

2. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

Not with Lyme + ME/CFS.

justy, Mel9 and minkeygirl like this.
  3. naoise

naoise Senior Member

I don't have ME just Lyme.

4. Valentijn

You might want to try asking on a Lyme forum then. This is an ME/CFS forum, and pretty much everyone posting here will have ME/CFS, even if they also have Lyme. So we probably can't offer you much help regarding exercise.

justy, barbc56 and minkeygirl like this.
  5. naoise

naoise Senior Member

Ah ok. Sorry thought this was the Lyme forum.

6. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    There is a Lyme forum on PR but as @Valentijn has said, this is an ME/CFS forum so the majority of us have ME/CFS. Exercise is not even in our vocabulary and what you want to do would end up disastrous for us.

There are plenty of Lyme only forums that could help you I'm sure.

Valentijn and Mel9 like this.
  7. Vitalic

Vitalic Senior Member

if you can go to the gym twice a week it would seem the Lyme is something of a triviality...

8. Valentijn

It's a Lyme subforum on an ME/CFS forum. We're happy to have non-ME/CFS patients hanging around, but questions involving exercise are likely to garner blank looks and maybe even some soft weeping :D

9. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    Yes I agree with Val - please feel welcome! But this is a subforum for people with Lyme and M.E mainly).
    As far as I remember Burrascano and other advocate that exercise is good for Lyme patients f they can tolerate it. Strenght training is good for mitochondria I think, see Dr Myhill's page here:

http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Exercise_-_the_right_sort

While stretching and getting hot are good for moving lymph and killing off Lyme. I would go with what your body is telling you to do. If it is too much then back off. If you can do it, them it will probably do you some good.

For people with M.E, especially the more severe form AND Lyme we cant tolerate exercise at all - I cant even do gentle walking or stretching as it worsens my condition an have to limit walking by using a wheelchair, so no showing off what you can do :)

Mel9, celeste and Valentijn like this.
  10. Mel9

Mel9 Senior Member

NSW Australia

Does anyone know why some Lyme patients do not develop ME CFS? And others do?

11. Valentijn

Nope. But it's been proven to happen following EBV, Q-fever, ross-river virus, etc. So the more accurate question might be "Why do some people develop ME/CFS following certain infections, while most do not?"

minkeygirl, Mel9 and justy like this.
  12. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    My pet theory is simply time. Although most people with Lyme in the UK get a CFS diagnosis, people who have been exposed in the couple of years before the diagnosis seem to get better with treatment. I have noticed, anecdotally, that those who do not seem to get better so easily, or as completely are those that have been undiagnosed for longer - often in the 15 - 30 years category. I myself may have been exposed as a teenager - so some 25 - 30 years ago.

I think the infections just gradually wear away at the system over time, causing more and more damage to the immune system and general health of the patient.

Or Valentjin could be right :)

Mel9, celeste and Valentijn like this.
  13. xrunner

xrunner Senior Member

Surrey
    You may want to have a look at what Dr Burrascano says in his guidelines about Lyme and exercise for direction. You also may want to look at Dr McGuff's Body by Science approach to exercise which was safer and worked well for me.
    I have both Me and Lyme and was able to start to gently exercise again when I recovered from Lyme. However I have so far not been able to resume aerobic exercise. Actually now I just walk as my day is too full to be able to exercise safely.

See more popular forum discussions.