1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.
?

Do you have lunulas on your fingernails?

1. I do not have lunulas.

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  2. I have lunulas on my thumbs only.

46 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. I do have lunulas on my fingers.

15 vote(s)
    21.7%
  1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Hi parisflower (and welcome to the forums!) - that's very interesting. I had no lunulas last May and still don't despite having tried Fred's b12 protocol (but only for a few weeks because of problems) and Rich's methylation protocol for 12 weeks. I'm about to start on methylB12 again so it will be interesting to see if any turn up. It would be lovely to see a visible sign of progress! Glad you're seeing this.
  2. Calathea

Calathea Darkness therapy

Scotland
    Parisflower - hang on, how fast do nails usually grow? That sounds like a very fast response to me, but then I really don't know how fast nails grow, either normally or when ill. I just trim mine whenever they're annoying me.

Lunulae on thumbs only, as ever, and I haven't tried the methylation protocol apart from for a few weeks, after which I stopped it as I was already having enough trouble with gabapentin withdrawal.

I've noticed that my fingernails are a lot more ridgy than usual. Vertical ridges, mildest on the index finger. Does anyone know what that's about?
  3. parisflower

parisflower

My nails have always grown quickly. They are also really strong.

Calathea, I don't know if the B12 I've been taking is what's behind the little moons on my two fingers showing up. I can only tell you that there are tiny slivers right now and they weren't there two weeks ago. I have a lot of fine ridges on all of my nails too.

Sasha, wouldn't it be great to have a visible sign of progress? I'll keep you posted. What would be most interesting is if I start to feel better AND get moons back on my nails!
  4. SaraM

SaraM Senior Member

I have none, and my nails grow very fast. B12 protocol did not change it.
  5. HistaSista

HistaSista

Hi people

This is a fairly old thread, but I'd like to add my penny's worth as I suffer from various malabsorption syndromes and have an issue with the lunula on my nails.

Firstly, I am definitely deficient in B12 for which I take either a sublingual or transdermal B12, which brings me to the point that if I am deficient in B12, I am probably also deficient in stomach acid. I am taking betaine HCl for the stomach acid deficiency and have been told that betaine is necessary for methylation.

I'm not an expert and cannot claim that I have great knowledge in any of these things, but I try to help myself as much as possible as doctors have never been of any help to me at all. Just thought if I added the above, the info might help somebody else.

I have read elsewhere that the disappearance of lunula is related to one's nutritional status and mine is poor due to damage done to my small intestine by gluten. Unfortunately this is probably happening to millions of others as it is not obvious until you finally realise that you are not well. In my case I was well into my fifties before I became aware that I am gluten intolerant. There are no obvious symptoms, but upon researching this in depth, I now know that gluten can cause up to 300 different symptoms and illnesses so it's not doing anybody any good. This is not just a fad idea of mine. There is screeds of information online about it thanks to a small band of dedicated gastroenterologists world wide who have done all the work in this area. The Celiac Disease Centre of the University of Chicago states that there are over 300 illnesses and symptoms caused by gluten and they are a prestigious institution. The immediate improvements in my health after going gluten free were the disappearance of debilitating chronic fatigue and IBS. It can take a few years for the intestinal damage to heal on a GF diet. I can tell there is some improvement but I still have a way to go.

I'm not sure if there's any improvement in my lunulas as yet, but now that I've learnt the added info from this thread, I will be watching their progress with great interest!
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  6. Lou

Lou Senior Member

southeast US

Don't know the why part, but it sure seems from all the data given here we can use our fingers much like a gasoline gauge, in this instance a lunulae gauge, reading pinky(full) to thumb(empty).

You'd think some medical research group would try to figure this out, might even lead to reverse engineering a treatment (or even a cure) for an ailment or two.

My two cents goes with those thinking it an issue of nutrient availability. Not just the B's but minerals as well, especially zinc and copper.

See more popular forum discussions.