1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Mighty Egg: New Life Springs Forth Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith finds that even with ME/CFS, new life as symbolized by the mighty egg, can still spring forth ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lucozade Drink - Makes me very ill

Discussion in 'Hypersensitivity and Intolerance' started by VillageLife, Mar 30, 2010.

1. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    For some reason when I drink lucozade it makes me VERY poorly, (FOR THOSE IN THE USA, LUCOZADE IS AN ENERGY DRINK) when I drink this, I shake, feel very ill. Does anyone have any ideas why this might happen to me ? I have CFS and POTS.

I sometimes think drinking lucozade is like 'neat' chronic fatigue syndrome in a drink, it gives me the most intense CFS feelings. Maybe working out what this drink does helps crack CFS.

Any ideas would be great...Also I havent been tested for XMRV.

THE INGREDIENTS ARE.....

Carbonated Water

Glucose Fructose Syrup (24%)

Orange juice from Concentrate (5%)

Citric Acid

Preservatives (Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Bisulphite)

Stabilisar (Acacia Gum)

Caffeine (0.012%)

Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid)

Flavourings

Colour (Beta-Carotene)
  2. Tom

Tom windows exterminator

Hi ,
    It's likely the glucose fructose syrup , I had a bad time after sweetening coffee with glucose.
    Now I don't touch any of these energy drinks.

Tom
  3. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
  4. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    According to the article Brenda linked to, the fructose overwhelms the liver. Our livers are already doing poorly from the CFS, so the fructose would be an added burden for the liver to detox, thus making you feel bad.
  5. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Any sulphites are bad for me as well as fructose intolerance, always check for preservatives, they are in everything!
  6. Lesley

Lesley Senior Member

Southeastern US
    Reversible postural tachycardia syndrome due to inadvertent overuse of Red Bull

The caffeine could also be part of the problem. I found this when I was researching POTS:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/r521821537044108/
  7. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    If you have problems with your blood sugar balance, Lucozade was removed from hospitals because its stuffed full of sugar (tasty though!).

The sudden intake of sugar can cause a compensatory hypo attack (hypoglycaemia). The symptoms include confusion, shakiness, hot and cold flushes, blurred vision and irritability/aggresiveness.

My wife (who doesn't have ME/CFS) gets these fairly frequently (but doesn't admit the last symptom).
  8. willow

willow Senior Member

East Midlands
    Plus imagine how excited any pathogens get at such a rich source of easy fuel!

See more popular forum discussions.