1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lp-PLA2 Blood Test, a marker for vascular inflammation

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by Emootje, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Emootje

Emootje Senior Member

The Netherlands
    The Lp-PLA2 (PLAC) test is cleared by the FDA to help assess risk for vascular events. This Test is a blood test that measures the level of Lp-PLA2 (Lipoprotein-associated Phospholipase A2), an enzyme associated with the inflammation of arteries. http://www.plactest.com
    Maybe this generally accepted test could detect our massive inflammation...

nanonug and Gamboa like this.
  2. Emootje

Emootje Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Lp-PLA2: inflammatory biomarker of vascular risk in multiple sclerosis

A member of the A2 phospholipase superfamily, the enzyme lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 (Lp-PLA2), is involved in atherogenic processes. Lp-PLA2 mass and activity were measured by the enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and by a colorimetric method, respectively, and compared among 63 multiple sclerosis (MS) patients and 47 age-matched healthy controls (HCs). Lp-PLA2 plasma levels were significantly higher in MS patients (236.7 ± 10 ng/ml) compared to HCs (197.0 ± 7 ng/ml) (p = 0.003), but LP-PLA2 activity did not differ between the two groups. Both Lp-PLA2 plasma mass and activity were higher in secondary progressive (mass 247.0 ±15.5 ng/ml, p = 0.05; activity 156.1 ±6 nmol/min/ml, p = 0.003) compared to relapsing-remitting MS patients (mass 227.0 ± 16 ng/ml; activity 128.8 ± 5 nmol/min/ml) and compared to HCs. Lp-PLA2 plasma activity was associated with measures of MS clinical disability. However, this association was attenuated after adjustment for the components of lipid profile

merylg likes this.
  3. Emootje

Emootje Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Lp-PLA2 is also associated with endothelial dysfunction:

"Lp-PLA2 is a member of the phospholipase A2 family of enzymes and is a 45.4-kDa protein produced by macrophages, T lymphocytes, and mast cells"
    "The production and release of Lp-PLA2 by lymphocytes and macrophages may become increased under inflammatory conditions. The metabolism of oxidized phospholipids by Lp-PLA2 increases the circulating levels of oxidized free fatty acid and lysophosphatidylcholine. Lysophosphatidylcholine can then have adverse effects on endothelial function via increased oxidative stress, modulation of leukocyte chemotaxis, and inhibition of endothelial cell migration to sites of endothelial damage"
    http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/26/1/106.full.pdf

merylg likes this.
  4. Emootje

Emootje Senior Member

The Netherlands
    merylg likes this.
  5. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    merylg, Little Bluestem and Emootje like this.
  6. Emootje

Emootje Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Nice!
    In Germany, Ganzimmune offers the Lp-PLA2 test for 54,56 euro. [order-form]
    By the way, increased phospholipase activity could explain the high choline metabolites finding from this study and this study (phospholipase induced breakdown of cell membranes shows up as choline on a 1H MRS brain scan). http://www.imaios.com/en/e-Courses/...nce-Spectroscopy-MRS/metabolites-spectroscopy

7. Emootje

Emootje Senior Member

The Netherlands
    A phospholipase A (PLA2) article by Cort:

merylg likes this.
  8. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Just got my results for Lp-PLA2: normal (158ng/mL; ref: 131-199)

Little Bluestem likes this.
  9. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

This is the biggest finding that my doctor has found with me. Mines 203- high (ref 131-199)

Little Bluestem likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.