• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lowering IGF-1 and raising autophage activity: good for ME, or not?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
In another thread I've been discussing whether intermittent fasting would be good for PWME. It's supposed to reduce levels of IGF-1 and increase autophage activity.

Would these be good things in PWME, or not? Reducing levels of IGF-1 is supposed to reduce inflammation and your risk of cancer, among other things and since ME seems to involve chronic inflammation I wondered about this.

Crux

Hi Sasha;

Elevated IGF-1 has been a big worry for me these past years, especially this one past. Mine steadily climbed to 166 pts. above highest normal for my age/gender.

I just received my most recent IGF-1 levels, and I'm relieved to report that they've come down 165pts. ( still too high, but much much better.)

I attribute this to my zinc supplementation this past 10mnths. Zinc has regulatory properties. Typically, with zinc deficiency, there is low growth hormone, and low IGF-1. I took a chance, and hoped it would help regulate my elevated levels. ( I average between 7.5-15 mgs. daily in supps.)

I still need to continue to lower my IGF-1, by additional means, but I'm not so freaked out about it.
I'm preparing to start supplementing with EGCG, Curcumin, and Resveratrol. They've demonstrated IGF lowering properties, in a few studies.

Thanks for the thread!