• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lowering Homocysteine: Folate, B6, B12, NAC, 5-MHTF

Hello,

just wanted to introduce myself and tell you a little about my plans to treat high homocysteine. I am a typical undermethylator and I also suffer from a rare disease where my red blood cells die too quickly because they have a different shape (more round than normal). I also react heavily to chemicals and cant even cook in my office without getting a reaction although B6 has helped somewhat lower my reactions to chemicals there are some cleaning supplies I do not tolerate at all.

So, I have been trying to repair my leaky gut with L-Glutamine and that works to some extent .. also taking B12, Zinc, B6 but I have trouble falling asleep, keeping a schedule and all the problems that go along with it. I usually fall asleep at around 5AM-6AM and it feels like my entire body is still fighting with ammonia and high homocysteine and stuff (sometimes feeling confused due to all the ammonia buildup but its getting better these days and even when that happens I take a few supps and within hours Im ok)

I am buying a gene test this month to further analyze stuff but until then I want to give NAC and 5-MTHF a try to lower my homocysteine which I believe keep me awake all the time / cause further cell damage.

I had a short depressive phase a few years back and I am worried that I'd fall back into depression should I try folate, I dont react well to folic acid (probably due to excess folic acid). Not sure if I will include that in my stack.

Even if I'd take a blood test and it would show I dont have excess folate, I would probably still not take it, because modern blood tests are very inaccurate, they never can tell the full story and from my experience I learned that its best to avoid doctors, they have poor understanding of nutrition, don't know about the methylation cycle, don't know how methionine works and are generally very mis-informed and will give you very poor recommendations.

On a sidenote, in my opinion going to a doctor these days is detrimental to your health sometimes because they tend to put you on addictive substances and meds. It's a huge conflict of interest out there and we're a long way from a 'democratic' and 'united' society. Right now the only community you'll find is among affected people and people that have experienced illness. A lot smarter people, a lot more informed, a lot more out of the box thinking.

Maybe someone wants to join in and talk a little about battling disease, lowering homocysteine and improving sleep quality and stuff.

Cheers

Oh yea, I forgot, green tea is helping to treat bacterial / fungal overgrowth and create a more relaxed state of mind. If you are currently not drinking tea, try green tea but dont overdo it (20 cups would be toxic to your liver, 5-6 is best).

There are also green tea extracts with higher polyphenols

PeterPositive

How high is your homocysteine at the moment?
Folate and B12 work together to lower, the lack of one will hinder the process.

I had a short depressive phase a few years back and I am worried that I'd fall back into depression should I try folate
Did folate worsen your depressive phase?

Folic acid should be avoided, if possible, preferring methyl-folate or folinic acid or both. Actually high dose methyl-folate is used as an anti depressant (Deplin). I am not advocating to jump onto a Deplin-dose folate, especially if you're sensitive. You can try a small dose (100-200mcg) and see if helps.

Given your blood cells issue, it would probably best to talk to a doctor before embarking in various protocols...

cheers