1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lower legs feel swollen after sitting upright for long periods?

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by Artorias, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Artorias

Artorias

Whenever I'm well enought to sit upright at a desk for an extended period (which for me is more than one hour) my lower legs feel swollen and tight, and I notice that my feet look very slightly puffy. If I then sit in a reclined position on the sofa the effect goes away.

This has only ever happened since I became ill. Is it an ME thing? Any idea what causes it?
  2. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    having coexisting POTS with the ME can cause this...as the blood with that often pools in the legs. The legs also can get a flushed kind of look with this blood pooling thing.
  3. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Yes, as Tania says, this is probably blood pooling and is common in ME/CFS patients. This can be caused by several forms of dysautonomia, not only POTS.

A "quick fix" (that doesn't get to the root of the problem though) is using compression knee socks, thigh-highs or full compression tights. I use compression knee socks every day. I have some that are mostly cotton and are very comfortable and prevent the pooling.

Best wishes,
    Sushi
    taniaaust1 and SOC like this.
  4. Artorias

Artorias

Thanks for the info guys. I was worried I had yet another condition to worry about :D I'll check out those compression socks.
  5. Iquitos

Iquitos Senior Member

Colorado
    The same thing happens to me. My solution is to lie down for 10-20" every couple of hours. Seems to make me urinate soon after, as well.

See more popular forum discussions.