• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low WBC High EBV Lyme Positive

sscobalt93

Okay so I recently received some bad news. I went to the doctor to get a Lyme Test. The Dr i went to tests for 10 bands of Lyme as well as Epstein Barr Virus, Hepititus, WBC, and some other things.

Well she called me without much concern just asking if I was tired. I told her yes I am always tired. She said I have test postitive for EBV. My charts are high over their range of 5.She said my Lyme tests were fine. So me not trusting the medical establishment I went and got my test results to say I am reactive to strains 41 and 23. Obvioulsy this means I have Lyme. No one however believes me. My mom believes what the Doctors say and what the CDC says. She is my only support so clearly she isn't helping. I am not going on Doxy I am treating this naturally. Regardless what anyone thinks I do not think Doxy will do anything at all. Antibiotics do nothing but kill my stomach. Make me poop blood and its not pleasant for me. Sorry for the TMI.

My WBC has been dropping quite rapidly these past few months. Back in September/October I had a test that was in the range of 5.1 then I had a test done a few months ago it was at a 4.7 now its down to a 3.5. I am very worried about this.

I have gotten my copper levels tested(plasma and ceuroplasmin, had to do this myself because my DOCTOR didn't know how to test for it..) Those were in the normal ranges so no reason for copper to lower my WBC.

I have also had 3 HIV home tests done over the course of a year(last one was done in April/May) those came back negative. So assuming I did those correctly(which it's pretty fool proof) I do not have HIV/AIDS so I can rule that out. Although I may go get another test just to be sure. I am an anxious person and waiting for blood tests make my anxiety worse.

I am not deficient in b12. Or Folate.

I have been vegan(high carb low fat) for almost a year. The past two weeks I have been trying meat. And I have noticed my brain fog is worse. I am stopping the meat. I do feel stronger, but it's not helping me mentally. I have also noticed that Lyme symptoms have been becoming worse. I am getting the aches and pains people talk about with Lyme. I have read about a doctor who recommend low fat for lyme because it doesn't let the Lyme go into cyst form.

Everywhere I read says these issues cause high white blood cell counts. I am afraid I am going to die if this keeps up. Well I am not afraid of death I just rather it not take me down this way.

I am going to be treating my Lyme with Samento, Banderol, Pinella, BurBur, Systemic Enzymes and a vegan diet. I do not have the money to spend on a doctor and purchase supplements.

I have only posted on this forum because I need support and I am not getting it from anyone in my life. I'm not trying ot sound like a soap box. But I am so alone. Worst thing is I found all this stuff out and my birthday is on monday. No real way to enjoy my birthday after finding out this stuff.

Please help me.

Mij

My WBC has been dropping quite rapidly these past few months. Back in September/October I had a test that was in the range of 5.1 then I had a test done a few months ago it was at a 4.7 now its down to a 3.5. I am very worried about this.

My WBC dipped down to 2.9 a couple of months ago. I'm guessing it went lower than that. I was fighting a viral infection for 2 months- glands swollen, vertigo and difficulty walking (weakness and stiffness).

My doctor was concerned so she had me redo my blood work last week and my WBC went back up to 4.8. I still have swollen glands but I do fell somewhat better.

On average my WBC is around 3.4 and I'm still alive :) My doctor was only somewhat concerned when it went below 3.

Have you had your ferritin tested? Thyroid?

sscobalt93

My WBC dipped down to 2.9 a couple of months ago. I'm guessing it went lower than that. I was fighting a viral infection for 2 months- glands swollen, vertigo and difficulty walking (weakness and stiffness).

My doctor was concerned so she had me redo my blood work last week and my WBC went back up to 4.8. I still have swollen glands but I do fell somewhat better.

On average my WBC is around 3.4 and I'm still alive :) My doctor was only somewhat concerned when it went below 3.

Have you had your ferritin tested? Thyroid?
Thyroid is fine. It was slightly elevated, but I evened that out with 200 mcg selenium and using a tsp of kelp on my food everyday. I have not had m ferritin tested. I will be ordering this test next week.

My glands were swollen too. The only thing that has helped that was going to sauna's 3-4 times a week. After about a week of that it has gotten better.

One thing I am having another issue with is foods. The only foods I can tolerate(mentally) are vegan foods. Mainly carbs. Although they cause a pain in my liver area(no elevated liver enzymes) I am wondering if it is chronic gas. When I eat meat I do not get that issue, but I have brain fog and not as good of a bowel movement. I am thinking the brain fog is due to ammonia toxicity. Because it doesn't happen right after eating. It happens a few hours later. Thats what made me change to being vegan. I am going to attempt to use Yucca root and see if that will help clear the fog a bit. It's really getting frustrating because I workout 3 times a week and I need to be able to keep my caloric intake up. I do not over exert myself. I am in and out in a hour. It's just basic compound exercises and I dont exhaust myself. I do it to keep my mind off things. It's either that or I go back to smoking weed and that is not the answer for me.

I am considering trying probiotics again. The first time they really messed me up. I am using florastor, but I don't think it is helping much with anything. I have Natren Healthy Trinity on hand(I have my own personal supplement store at my house hah!)

The one thing I have noticed that helps me in all ways is sweating when I sweat I feel better for a short amount of time. As soon as I cool off I start to feel bad again. I'm such a confusing case, no one wants to treat me.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Hi @sscobalt93

If you do have lyme and you are going to treat it naturally you may want to research Olive Leaf Extract.
I have no personal experience with it but have read of others here on PR who have tried it.

Perhaps you might need to find a different PCP. It's unfair and unjust that we are treated this way but it is what it is.
Dr's just follow what they are told to think for the most part (not so different from anyone else really).
So you might consider taking the time to slowly educate her with solid research or as I said above find someone new.
If you get your Dr onboard you find your mother may relent.

At any rate there is lots of info here. Good luck.

Mij

@sscobalt93 definitely have your ferritin tested if you are vegan. Low levels can make you feel very tired, brain fog and generally unwell.

Personally, I've had better experiences with digestive enzymes than with probiotics.

sscobalt93

I've done lots of reading about Lyme. I have read about Olive Leaf and I will be using it possibly in the future. I am a big lurker online at Lyme board(even before I saw the tests). From what I have gathered its best to start on Samento. And to be on that for 30 days. Titraiting slowly because it is POWERFUL stuff and can cause reactions. Then add in the other herbs. Then from what I gather is to rotate them every 30-60 days.

The issue with finding a doctor is funds. I live in a rural area and I have to drive 15 miles just to get to a store! Even further if I am going to a health food store. So gas adds up a lot too. My mom doesn't believe in natural treatments. She has lots of issues that could be taken care of naturally. I try to help her with them but she gets mad at me so I back off on it.

From my understanding Lyme is treated by symptoms not by the CDC's guidelines. So I am going to treat. I've always been pretty isolated so I am doing this alone, no doctors. I hate to say that, but every doctor I have seen as just written me off. I was placed in a mental facility because I was homeless in my teens and needed a place to stay so I voluntarily went there and they wouldn't listen to me about any of my problems. They just pumped me with medications that made me feel like I was going to die. I was put on one medication that made me feel like my insides were going to rip out of my skin. Then they gave me something that made me sleep for 3 days straight. While I was able to talk to the doctor he was texting on his phone without a care in the world. I confronted him about it and he told me to relax. I was so fed up with that and how the medications were killing me I threw my chair I was sitting in across his office and breaking my hand on the door. It was the worst decision I made in my life to listen to doctors to treat me. I was trying to claw myself out of the locked doors. I was screaming at everyone to let me out. This is not a normal attitude from me it was the medications do this. My hand was broken for 2 days before they even looked at it. I am surprised they did't strap me down to the chair. I think the reason was because the head of the facility believed me about the doctor not paying attention to me. I never saw that doctor again. Neither did any of the other patients thank god. Sorry for the rant haha.

sscobalt93

@sscobalt93 definitely have your ferritin tested if you are vegan. Low levels can make you feel very tired, brain fog and generally unwell.

Personally, I've had better experiences with digestive enzymes than with probiotics.

My brain fog is relieved with a vegan diet. It gets worse with meat. My guess is ammonia toxicity. I have been anemic before and it's a different feeling. I am going to try Yucca root with my protein meals. I also take digestive enzymes and Betaine HCL

Tammy

I wouldn't completely rule out the EBV contributing to your problems. Lyme testing is very controversial. I am no Lyme expert but from what I can remember........and I may be wrong......but the fact that you had two reactive strains may not mean anything serious. I would ask your Dr. about the lyme test results and why she doesn't think you have Lyme.

duncan

You may have Lyme, but I cant say for sure because you are only volunteering bits and pieces. When you speak about strains 41 and 23, I suspect you're talking bands. Are they IgG or IgM? This matters because if you answer wrongly, you may not have Lyme (if you subscribe to the IDSA dogma)...

sscobalt93

I wouldn't completely rule out the EBV contributing to your problems. Lyme testing is very controversial. I am no Lyme expert but from what I can remember........and I may be wrong......but the fact that you had two reactive strains may not mean anything serious. I would ask your Dr. about the lyme test results and why she doesn't think you have Lyme.

Its not my primary care doc, it is a urgent care doc. From what I understand Urgent Care docs can lose their license if they diagnose someone with Lyme. That's just something I've read on the Lyme boards.

You may have Lyme, but I cant say for sure because you are only volunteering bits and pieces. When you speak about strains 41 and 23, I suspect you're talking bands. Are they IgG or IgM? This matters because if you answer wrongly, you may not have Lyme (if you subscribe to the IDSA dogma)...

@duncan Yes sorry I meant bands. On the test:
LYME DISEASE AB(IGG), BLOT NON-REACTIVE

18 KD (IGG) BAND NON-REACTIVE
23 KD (IGG) BAND NON-REACTIVE
28 KD (IGG) BAND NON-REACTIVE
30 KD (IGG) BAND NON-REACTIVE
39 KD (IGG) BAND NON-REACTIVE
41 KD (IGG) BAND REACTIVE
45 KD (IGG) BAND NON-REACTIVE
58 KD (IGG) BAND NON-REACTIVE
66 KD (IGG) BAND NON-REACTIVE
93 KD (IGG) BAND NON-REACTIVE

LYME DISEASE AB (IGM), BLOT NON-REACTIVE

23 KD (IGM) BAND REACTIVE

39 KD (IGM) NON-REACTIVE
41 KD (IGM) NON-REACTIVE

I should also note that I have been taking Lysine for a few days. From my understanding the EBV stays in the spinal cord when it is inactive. Oddly enough after taking it I feel better mentally, but I can almost feel like its regressing back to my spine. The back of my neck feels swollen and aches almost like a fluish ache. This is not a normal occurrence. I am only taking about 2.5 grams daily. I know this is not the answer long term. Diet is the key in this factor, but if it can help inactivate the virus I will gladly use it.

As far as the brain fog goes I think its from ammonia. I am going to get Yucca root and try that as well as molybdenum.

My cousin and I used to be real close, and he had mono. My grandmother had shingles. We lived in the same house for years. My cousin likes to mess around and I know he once drank out of my cup when he had mono. Not sure if this was the exposure needed. I know stress affects the virus. And I have been chronically stressed for 4 years now. Lots of trauma in my life. Things are settling down in that department, but I'm still depressed about my situation. Maybe this is a big part in my problems as well. I honestly would wish what I am going through on my worst enemy. Although I dont think I have one anymore..

xrunner

Violeta

@sscobalt93 You're doing a good job on researching. There are those of us who choose natural alternative remedies and do get better, so I would say stick with it.

I have a problem with eating meat, too, can you tolerate eggs or white fish such as tilapia? Those seem to cause the least problems for me, but I have gone through stages where I couldn't even tolerate them. (They are importing good quality tilapia from Ecuador to many stores here now.)

Olive leaf is a good choice because it is antiviral and antibacterial. Lomatium is too, and I am having some improvement with that and echinacea. Colostrum helps improve the immune system, which seems absolutely necessary for getting the body where it can deal with everything more on it's own.

I've found cistus incanus tea to be very helpful, too.

There are lots of people treating themselves for Lyme and coinfections with the help of information online by well known herbalists and doctors at a facebook group called Healing Lyme Jernigan, Buhner, Cowden, Klinghardt, and one other can't remember, but you would be able to find it with those words.

Take care

Tammy

I should also note that I have been taking Lysine for a few days. From my understanding the EBV stays in the spinal cord when it is inactive. Oddly enough after taking it I feel better mentally, but I can almost feel like its regressing back to my spine. The back of my neck feels swollen and aches almost like a fluish ache. This is not a normal occurrence. I am only taking about 2.5 grams daily. I know this is not the answer long term. Diet is the key in this factor, but if it can help inactivate the virus I will gladly use it.
Yes...........l-lysine is good against EBV as well as licorice root (not the deglycirizzed)sp? Also cats claw is good against EBV............but I think it's the regular cats claw............over TOA free.

sscobalt93

I take licorice root on occasion. I am a male so the use has to be sporadic. It can cause low testosterone. I have felt the effects of low test from it. My biceps get real weak and I become more fatigued after ~2 weeks of use. I stop for a week and its all back to normal. It's weird I get a boost in what feels like test the first week of using it. More energy, higher libido, stronger, etc.

From what I have read Samento is better than Cat's Claw. Since I do have it on order I will try it out. I am going to use the Cowden protocol as my guide. I may not be able to use everything he suggests due to funding, but the main ones for sure. Samento, Banderol, Systemic Enzymes, Pinella and Burbur. The cumanda will be added in later

sscobalt93

@Valentijn never heard of Yersinia. Can you tell me what that is? I googled it and it said it was a gram negative bacteria.

@xrunner I've had better results with natural treatments in the past over western medicine. Western Medicine is my last resort.

sscobalt93

Heres an update. I am getting a cold sore and I have never had a cold sore in my life. This didnt happen til after taking the Lysine. This is interesting...

sscobalt93

Interesting indeed. Whenever I start to notice a cold sore forming, I start taking Lysine and it stops it in its tracks.

I also feel neck stiffness after taking the lysine. Like the virus is regressing back to the spinal cord. I feel a lot better today thats forsure.