• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low sulfur/thiol protein powders?

Are there any protein powders that are low in sulfur based amino acids, don't contain aspartame or splenda, and taste decent?

I workout a lot and it is very difficult for me to get enough protein from my meals so I supplement with Optimum Nutrition Natural Whey. I'd like to replace that with something low thiol/sulfur due to my CBS mutation and the fact that my sulfur levels seem to hover around 600-800 mg/L (using test strips).

In fact, if anyone could point me to any other good resources for high protein diets that work with a CBS mutation, I would much appreciate it. Most high-protein veggies are just too rich in thiols so I'm stuck eating a lot of dark meats which is hard on my digestion.

Martial

You should be able to cover your protein needs off of eggs, goat dairy, organic beef/bison, turkey, chicken, and fish as main sources fairly easily. High protein veggies are not as optimal of a form of protein by themselves because the amino acid profile is less complete, compared to meat and dairy sources. This is why people will mix protein sources without meat to get the full spectrum of amino acids. Rice and beans are one example of this. Soy, and rice protein is junk and you don't need to take that in a powdered form. Casein is great if you can tolerate it, there are also some other forms of whey isolate that work well for intolerance.

I used to weight lift very seriously, and was training for physique type stuff, most the well renowned coaches, and other people that were serious all told me the same thing though. Natural food sources of protein are always better then the supplemented type, always try and get your daily protein needs from food sources and use the powders only if you don't have time for a meal. I would still take one shake a day usually around the times I worked out, combining it with some fats, and carbs for peri workout nutrition. I have been purchasing my supplements from T-Nation since I was like 18 and they are one of the most trusted people I have bought from for sure.

Here is a link to the site store,

http://www.t-nation.com/store/

Oh one more thing, the reason I would only buy from them is because I trusted them. A lot of companies actually have levels of heavy metals added into protein powders above the RDV, this happens naturally with processing facilities if not treated for. Some companies know this and use extra steps in their facilities and test batches for heavy metals, T-nation does this so this is why I trust them. Supplements aren't regulated by the FDA so you don't know if whats on the bottle is the only thing in there, hence only buy off a company you can trust and be confident in yourself.

Are there any protein powders that are low in sulfur based amino acids, don't contain aspartame or splenda, and taste decent?

I workout a lot and it is very difficult for me to get enough protein from my meals so I supplement with Optimum Nutrition Natural Whey. I'd like to replace that with something low thiol/sulfur due to my CBS mutation and the fact that my sulfur levels seem to hover around 600-800 mg/L (using test strips).

In fact, if anyone could point me to any other good resources for high protein diets that work with a CBS mutation, I would much appreciate it. Most high-protein veggies are just too rich in thiols so I'm stuck eating a lot of dark meats which is hard on my digestion.
Where did you purchase sulfur test strips? TY

Gondwanaland

@DownTheRabbitHole I just came accross this rice protein powder today. I think a flavored option is also available. I don't use protein powders yet, but have been searching for a good one. You can search further in the "Categories" menu above the product picture. Dr. Ben Lynch recommends pea protein, you can also do a search for it.

hope this helps

izzy