• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Potassium, low urea, low triglycerides, low lymphocytes, high eosinophils

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi Diesel,
I have all of the same results that you do, amnd I wish I could explain them better.

I was tested for various parasites to explain the eosinophils but they didn't find anything, so I think it is linked with allergies in general, especially food allergies. The Th2 shift, high IgE and low lymphocytes are all part of the same story. If you get a biopsy of your intestine you'll probably find infiltrations of lymphocytes there. You may have a normal level in your body but they are low in the blood stream because they are all lodged in the gut, causing constipation through the mechanism of inflammation.
Get your ANAs tested because you may have an autoimmune situation as well, which develops after having this inflammation for a long time.
My levels improved a bit ( I do mean, only a little bit) after having antibiotics to get rid of a lot of the bad bacteria in the intestine. Xifaxin seems to be the best one in my experience. (Try 8 days to start with - this was a great tip from CBS)

Low urea is common among CFS people, especially the ones with severe gut symptoms according to De Meirleir. Richvank explained this for me in a thread but I have such a mushy brain I cannot remember which thread. Anyone else recall it? Urea is the product of a cycle of chemical processes in the body and basically the cycle is not working somewhere along the line.

I cannot remember anything about the low triglyceries, but I vaguely in this mess of a brain think it is connected with Vitamin D production.

Hi Athene,

thanks so much for your answer. I'm happy that I'm not alone and I'm happy that KDM is looking into this and that many of his patients seem to have the same results. You are completely right, they tested me for parasites too as did KDM but the results were negative.

I have a difficult final today so I gotta study but I will catch up with you later. Have a great day and "never give up", I like that :Retro smile:

Hey my cousin has the some what the same report and suffering the same. She is under treatment. I want to know the main reason for this situation. And for that I search out it online and got some results but I am not getting it properly. So anyone of you can make me understand than it would be appreciated.

Emootje

And it seems my colloid osmotic pressure is increased. Any ideas?

Increased colloid osmotic pressure (COD) is seen in low plasma volume. I'm very sure you have a low blood volume.
This low blood volume will increase your aldosterone that will increase your sodium reabsorption in your kidney and decrease your potassium reabsorption. This explains your low potassium.
By the way: My COD: 31,5 mmHg (21-24 mmHg) My plasma volume 87% of normal
You should watch my video's:
[video=youtube;QOCtf4zsdeI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOCtf4zsdeI[/video]
[video=youtube;zz7lLe7WxXk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz7lLe7WxXk[/video]
Increased Atrial natriuretic peptide could explain your low blood volume.
More information on ANP:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/rfhe9gb7dbat6ye8/fulltext.pdf

This is very interesting, thanks for posting.
Take care

Very interesting, Emootje. Is there a way do decrease ANP or increase blood volume?

Emootje

Thank you Diesel.
Most important, you can decrease ANP by eliminate the orgin of your inflammation.

View attachment CVS pathologie en.pdf

Another way to decrease your ANP is to normalize your vitamin A and D (vitamin D >80 mmol/l)
Increasing vitamin D has some disadvantages, like a bigger Th2 dominance and a very small chance you develop hypercalcaemia, but there are also a lots of benefits such as higher levels of antimicrobial peptides, lower NF kappa beta levels and lower ANP levels.

You can temporary increase your blood volume by eating a lot of salt.
Hope this will help you.
And thank you again for posting your increased COD levels, now I know COD can serve as a marker for low plasma volume.
Emootje

Thank you Diesel.
Most important, you can decrease ANP by eliminate the orgin of your inflammation.

View attachment 3380

Another way to decrease your ANP is to normalize your vitamin A and D (vitamin D >80 mmol/l)
Increasing vitamin D has some disadvantages, like a bigger Th2 dominance and a very small chance you develop hypercalcaemia, but there are also a lots of benefits such as higher levels of antimicrobial peptides, lower NF kappa beta levels and lower ANP levels.

You can temporary increase your blood volume by eating a lot of salt.
Hope this will help you.
And thank you again for posting your increased COD levels, now I know COD can serve as a marker for low plasma volume.
Emootje

I have to thank. The problem is i don't get rid of the inflammation. I suffer from endotoxins, infections, food intolerances and I do what I can do get rid of them but nothing seems to work. Could you tell me more about Vitamin D and its connection to Th2 dominance please? My food intolerances get so much worse whenever I take a vitamin D supplement. By the way does high ANP cause more urine so the body does absorb less fluids?

My COD is 30,8 mmHg

Emootje

Hi Diesel,

I think your leaky gut (endotoxin) is your biggest problem.
There are some therapeutics for endotoxin, like bile acids and laxatives.
LPS treatment..JPG
http://cmr.asm.org/cgi/reprint/8/2/268.pdf?ck=nck

Vitamin D upregulate IL-4 (Th-2) and IL-10 and downregulate IL-2 (Th-1) and INF gamma (Th-1)
more info: http://www.endotext.org/adrenal/adrenal28/adrenal28.htm

ANP decreases intravascular volume by:
By increasing excretion of sodium and water. (more urine)
By increasing permeability of vascular system. (water movement from intravascular space to the interstitial space)

Athene

ihateticks.me
Diesel,
Are you currently a patient of KDM? ... as you mentioned he tested you.

He often prescribes pentasa (timed release meslazine - it has various other names too) to reduce inflammation in the gut. It's very effective if you can tolerate it, which I can't, unfortunately. You must have completely normal sulphur metabolism to be OK with it. I don't know if there is a scientific test for correct sulphur metabolism but you can easily find out by eating a lot of dried apricots - if your sulphur metabolism is not working you will get terrible gas from them!

Hi Diesel,

I think your leaky gut (endotoxin) is your biggest problem.
There are some therapeutics for endotoxin, like bile acids and laxatives.
View attachment 3382
http://cmr.asm.org/cgi/reprint/8/2/268.pdf?ck=nck

Vitamin D upregulate IL-4 (Th-2) and IL-10 and downregulate IL-2 (Th-1) and INF gamma (Th-1)
more info: http://www.endotext.org/adrenal/adrenal28/adrenal28.htm

ANP decreases intravascular volume by:
By increasing excretion of sodium and water. (more urine)
By increasing permeability of vascular system. (water movement from intravascular space to the interstitial space)

Thanks Emootje. Your links are great by the way! I only have time to read a little bit but what I found about Vitamin D is awesome. They are looking for a Vitamin D3 analog that is less hypercalcemic and leads to a weaker Th2 response.:

http://www.endotext.org/adrenal/adrenal28/adrenal28.htm
"Therefore, the development of less hypercalcemic analogs of 1,25(OH)2 vitamin D3 might open a new therapeutic area in autoimmunity and organ transplantation. In fact, it has recently been shown that administration of such analogs by inhibiting IL-12 and Th1 development prevents or ameliorates chronic-relapsing experimental allergic encephalomyelitis (EAE) and autoimmune diabetes in mice (74;75). In addition, the clinical improvement in psoriasis after application of calcipotriene, a synthetic analog of 1,25(OH)2 vitamin D3 has been linked to the reduction of IL-8 and the increase of IL-10 production, induced by this drug (76)"

Polymyxin B was the first thing that KDM prescribed me and I can approve that laxatives help greatly as long as someone watches his food intolerances and does not get diarrhea.

Strategies (from CLINICAL MICROBIOLOGY REVIEWS, Apr. 1995, p. 268292)

KDOb synthesis inhibitors ........................120, 135, 136
Antibiotics...................................................160, 163a, 344
Reduce adsorption
Bile salts......................................................46, 376
Whole-gut irrigation, laxatives .................77, 364, 404
Colistin, paromomycin ..............................131, 369
Selective decontamination........................27
Accelerated clearance
Extracorporeal............................................8, 28, 36, 388
Immunoglobulin supplementation...........19, 130, 176, 255, 298, 334
Immunotherapy
Polyclonal................................................2
Monoclonal.............................................412
Antagonists
Polymyxin....................................................45, 170, 256, 257, 320
BPI and N-terminal fragments ................284
Lipid X........................................................66

Diesel,
Are you currently a patient of KDM? ... as you mentioned he tested you.

He often prescribes pentasa (timed release meslazine - it has various other names too) to reduce inflammation in the gut. It's very effective if you can tolerate it, which I can't, unfortunately. You must have completely normal sulphur metabolism to be OK with it. I don't know if there is a scientific test for correct sulphur metabolism but you can easily find out by eating a lot of dried apricots - if your sulphur metabolism is not working you will get terrible gas from them!

Hi Athene,

yes I am a patient of KDM but haven't seen him for over a year now. I'm very sensitive too but I tolerate low amounts of sulphur. Do you know if pentasa helps other PWCs with intestinal problems? Can you tell if there was something that helped you the most?

Greets

Emootje

Hi Diesel,

Did you ever take inulin and psyllium? It did wonders for me.
Lactulose is just another laxative that could work for you.
And I was just thinking that you might benefit from a low protein diet (less protein = less toxins like: indol, skarol, phenol, cresol, indican, sulphurretted hydrogen, ammonia, histidine, methylmercaptan, tyramine, cadaverin)
I assume you did take the DAO enzyme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3iKY2FkChQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cneLSubFEA8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGITUF26hr4&feature=related

Take care

Emootje

Hi Diesel,

I tried DAO but it did nothing for me. I guess food intolerance is not a big problem for me. I have also tried different kinds of diets but all without any result. I think enterovirussen are more a problem for me.

Greetings

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi Diesel,

KDM prescribes pentasa to many patients with bad gut problems and it helps a lot. It is an antinflammatory used in all inflammatory bowel diseases, especially Crohn's disease. It doesn't deal with the causative pathogens, but it reduces the inflammatory resoponse so your gut has a better chance to heal. I used it for a year and it helped but the effect gradually wore off as my sulphur metabolism got worse.

One of the things that is supposed to heal leaky gut is molybdenum. I have tried this and various other nutrients but they are all things that rely on proper sulphur metabolism as they are all compunds (nutrients) that break down into sulphur at some stage. The whole problem with leaky gut is that your body doesn't sulphate the tight junctions in the gut wall so the cells are not closely bound together. If you cannot sulphate, then no supplements are going to fix that, because you need to use sulphur properly to make correct use of them. In my case, all I do is nourish whatever it is in my body which likes to make hydrogen sulphide out of everything.

If you think you can handle sulphur I'll direct you to two excellent threads (one by leaves and one by catseye). Otherwise, you're like me - screwed.

I have tried lots of diets and realised, like Emootje, that some enterovirusis or other infection is the underlying problem. Changing my diet helps reduce the extreme symptoms, but the problem is still there. The best diet change I can make is to stop eating carbohydrates altogether (OK this is not possible, but if you follow the Atkins diet you can reduce total carbohydrate consumption to 4% of calorie intake). Doing this caused a drastic improvement in my gut symptoms and also improved my energy levels amazingly, reduced headaches etc. I am certain something in my gut feeds oncarbs and I was starving it out. However, when I went back to a normal diet, all the symptoms retured over just a couple of months. I am stil trying to build up the courage to do this diet again. It is very difficult to get up and started, but one you are on it, it is easy to keep going.
If you're interested in trying it, I can give you a lot of help.

Athene

ihateticks.me
KDM = Kenny De Meirleir

I forgot to mention that I also find psyllium husk really helpful. I haven't tried inulin. Psyllium seems to work best if you start with a small amount and build up, adn also if you manage to take it about the same time/times every day.
Quite a few others on this forum, especially those with truly terrible guts like me, have also said it helps them.

rlc

hi disel don't mean to worry you but i hope your doctor is properly investigating these resualts, abnormally low blood potassium is called hypokalemia it can be caused by numerous contions some of which are serious it needs to be investigated, heres alink about it http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/hypokalemia.htm and heres a link to low urea which may help http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/bun/test.html best of luck! to any one reading with strange lab resualts a Diagnosis of CFS is supposed to be based on not having failed any of the common lab tests and having symptoms that fit within the criteria for CFS the candian one is the best in my opinion, if you have failed some of the common lab test or have symptoms outside of the diagnostic criteria please consider that you might not have the right diagnosis or that you are devoloping a new illness which needs treating. from my experiance once you,ve been diagnosed with CFS doctors tend to atribute everything to it which there not suposed to do, there suposed to follow the diagnostic criteria! all the best