1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Low Potassium For How Long After Stopping B12?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by arx, Feb 25, 2014.

1. arx

arx Senior Member

Hi,

After more than a week of stopping mb12, adb12 and other b-vitamins, I'm still feeling the need to supplement potassium daily. Does this last for quite a while?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  2. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    Usually only as long as you are on the protocol... Unless it brought your levels severly low and your liver needs to store more which can take some time.

3. girlfromeurope

girlfromeurope Senior Member

Belgium
    magnesium can help if potassium doesn't seem to relieve your symptoms

Little Bluestem and L'engle like this.
  4. arx

arx Senior Member

I also thought the need for more would end after stopping B12, or a week after that... apparently not.

@girlfromeurope Yep. Magnesium does help :)

5. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    Definitely important to make sure you are not deficient in magnesium as that will cause the body to not hold onto any potassium taken! This goes for everyone!

Little Bluestem likes this.
  6. mgd1972

mgd1972

Can you take them at the same time?

7. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    Maybe take it a few hours a part from potassium supplements, but shouldn't be an issue with say coconut water, bananas etc...

8. arx

arx Senior Member

@Martial

You say "Unless it brought your levels severly low and your liver needs to store more which can take some time."

You mean the deficiency brought the levels severely low, and after supplementation and subsequently stopping supplementation of B12 and other B-vitamins, the body could still need more potassium and magnesium to continue the "process" for some more time?

The "process" would be RBC production and powering the Na+/K+ pump? Both requiring potassium and magnesium to continue. This could go on for a while depending on our bodies.. days to few weeks maybe?

9. arx

arx Senior Member

Also,

Suggestions for magnesium supplements please? Which form is the best?

10. L'engle

L'engle moderate ME

Canada
    After taking lithium orotate I had potassium loss for a month after not taking methyl b12. But without lithium orotate a week or two has been the extent of it. It stops eventually.

11. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA

If your levels were severly low you would be hospitalized and definitely not able to type on a computer right now, people that low in potassium present with symptoms like paralysis and cardiac arrest... that being said if you did have the chance of being really low on that level it would easily show up on a serum blood test that includes your potassium levels.

I don't know how much longer after any protocol you would still need supplementation or a higher intake though, I would give you a number but it would be speculated.. I think definitely it would not last more then a few weeks of stopping the protocol though..

There are many different forms, chelated, citrate, glyconate, etc.. Just anything that is a bio available form or as natural as possible... Doctor's best, Soloray, Jarrow's, and Now are all good brand names of magnesium.

See more popular forum discussions.