Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Low Potassium Caused by B12

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by lero1, May 16, 2015.

1. lero1

lero1

Hi,

I have a lot of questions about low potassium caused by methyl-b12 or adenosyl-b12 and/or methylfolate. Looks like this is the right forum to ask this; people here seem to know this stuff :cool:

1. I ALWAYS face low potassium after taking B12. While I haven't validated this with a blood test confirming hypokalemia, I always feel better and "back in my senses" after taking potassium. I cannot keep a high enough b12 level because of excessive potassium demands b12 induces in my body, during which I just cannot function. I've seen people take mb12 everyday for years without any low potassium issues. How is this possible!?

Have any of you got a blood test done confirming hypokalemia? Is it worth worsening myself (by not taking potassium after B12) in order to get some proof?

2. I've asked A LOT of doctors about this and they simply laugh it off, giving me the look that I don't know what I'm saying. Have any doctors helped you out with this issue, or recommended potassium rich food or supplements to be taken along with B12?

3. I can't seem to find any research studies about B12 induced hypokalemia. Are there any?

2. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    You might find some answers in the 2nd doc linked in my signature, a compilation from Freddd's Protocol. My understanding is that the need for K+ w/ folate is due to the increased action of new cell formation. I don't know if this is the same mechanism with B12. I had quite high needs for K+ as I was implementing Freddd's Protocol. But now my needs are greatly reduced. I think I'm meeting my K+ needs now with my high carrot intake. In any case, I haven't needed added K+ for some time.

3. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

What are exactly your symptoms when taking high amounts of B12?

4. lero1

lero1

After about 15-18 hours of taking B12 (1mg to 3mg) and/or Methylfolate, symptoms:

Dry mouth, frequent urination, mental sluggishness and confusion , muscle weakness and aches, tighness in chest, palpitations.

5. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

@lero1 - You might do better with hydroxoB12. I've never heard of it depleting potassium.

PeterPositive likes this.
  6. lero1

lero1

@Valentijn Yeah. Thinking about it. That or cyanoB12.

7. ChetRoi

ChetRoi

Florida West Coast, USA
    My understanding is higher dose MB-12 or AB-12 can cause frequent urination. Potassium leaves the body (through urination) much more rapidly causing hypokalemia.

Weight lifters who take a lot of AB-12 often have this problem so they supplement with potassium. Those who do not sometime have serious (possibly fatal) consequences.

It is a bit of a tough problem since the symptoms for hypokalemia and hyperkalemia are the same.

See more popular forum discussions.