• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low noise Cooling fans?

Orla

Hi, I help run a support group and someone has asked if I know of any low noise fans? This would be a fan for helping to keep the person cool in the summer. I thought it was an interesting question, though as I have not come across it before I have no idea about suitable low-noise fans.

I would be interested in any suggestions.

Thanks,
Ola

ahmo

Hi Orla. I don't know about fans. but I have my own tip to pass on. I keep hot water bottles filled w/ water in frig. They're wonderful to then lie w/ or put behind back when sitting. cheers, ahmo:balloons:

Mij

I wear small ear plugs. I can still hear with them in but in a muted way. I got used to wearing them 70% of the time now and sometimes forget to remove them when I go out. The plugs calm my nervous system.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.

Hip

You might consider using an ultra-quiet computer cooling fan. They are very cheap, around $5 to $10, and very quiet (some are as quiet as 14 dB, which you will barely hear at all). They run on any 12 volts DC supply (so you'd need to wire them into a 12 volt DC power adaptor plug). Some fans have variable speed controls. But if you have a power adaptor plug that has multi-voltage output, from say 4.5 to 12 volts, then you can control the fan speed by setting different voltages on the plug. Though you'd have to set up some kind of simple stand for these fans, because they are just a basic fan unit.

I replaced my bathroom's loud and noisy extractor fan with a very silent computer cooling fan, run from a 12 volt power adaptor plug, and it made a huge difference to sound levels. Unconventional yes, but it works well.

Ultra-Quiet 120mm fans

Ultra-Quiet 140mm fans

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I just remembered Dyson makes blade less fans. I think they call then Air Movers but not sure.

They're expensive but the only sound is the motor.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
As an extremely noise sensitive person, I can attest that this Honeywell Quietset Tower fan is really, really quiet on the lowest 3 settings. Not silent, but beneath my extremely discerning noise threshold (that most fans buzz way over even on the low setting.) Granted, it does not push much air or cool very much... but if you move it close to the bed you can sleep.

The only downside is that it emits blue LED lights from the display. If you are light sensitive and want to sleep with it, you'll have to cover it with a baseball hat or knit cap or folded towel. Not pretty but it works.