• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low neutrophils and high RF factor – help needed for diagnostic and treatment

Dear friends
Last March I caught a cold that left me in bed for a week. I had a sore throat all the way down to my right lung, headache, bone aches but no fever. Since then I have more or less been nonfunctioning. My physical level is maybe a quarter of it used to be and I have constant brain fog to the extent that I takes time to even recall names of close friends and relatives. I got better during mid and end of summer but relapsed into the same sometime in October again.

I have been to various doctors and taken most of the blood tests that are out there. In summary my red blood, B cells, T cells, Cytokines, liver, hormone, IGG antibodies, ANA, ANCA, anti DNA are all normal. I have been tested negative for pneumonia, mold and mycoplasma. My I have positive IgG for Herpes Simplex, Cytomegalovirus and Epstein Barr but all negative on IgM so no active infection. I have been to a general practitioner, a neurologist, a rheumatologist and an immunologist which all acknowledge that something is wrong but cannot give concrete diagnostic nor treatment. I have had a chest CT scan and am currently scheduled for a brain MRI.

During all this there are only two tests that are constantly abnormal. Total white blood cell count is always below normal levels 3,5-4,0 (normal 4,0-10,5) and especially my neutrophils are always under 1,5-1,8 (normal 1,9-7). In addition to this I score high on RF factor in one labs 100-175 (normal under 25). In another lab it scores normal which leads me to speculate that it is only showing that there is high antigen activity going on but not necessarily a self-destructing one. I feel numbness in my face and sometimes in my calfs as well. I also feel light tension in my throat and I have constant brain fog.

Has anyone had similar abnormal results and feelings that could guide me in the right direction of diagnostic and treatment?

All comments highly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!
sveinnb