• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low ferritin (5) despite IV Iron

dannybex

I'm no doctor, but isn't ferritin the storage form of iron? If so (and I'm not sure of this) but then it may mean that you're using the iron (or something is using it). That's just a guess.

Are you getting any other mineral co-factors? I think copper, zinc, and esp molybdenum are involved in iron metabolism and storage, not to mention b12, folate, etc.

Here's a study that mentions the moly-b and ferritin connection:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/25/10/1022.abstract

alex3619

I'm no doctor, but isn't ferritin the storage form of iron? If so (and I'm not sure of this) but then it may mean that you're using the iron (or something is using it). That's just a guess.

Are you getting any other mineral co-factors? I think copper, zinc, and esp molybdenum are involved in iron metabolism and storage, not to mention b12, folate, etc.

Here's a study that mentions the moly-b and ferritin connection:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/25/10/1022.abstract
Ferritin is a protein that can be made in response to inflammation and can assist in the transport of iron. It is the second function and a simple and cheap blood test that lead to some doctors getting confused about ferritin. I suspect the name was historical - they probably found out about its relationship to iron before they discovered other functions.

digital dog

Autoimmune condition of pernicious anaemia?
You need to have B12 shots as well as the iron.
Once a week for six weeks and then every month.
Could be digestive problems not absorbing the iron?
Digestive enzymes?

globalpilot

I believe transferrin is the transport protein and ferritin is the storage protein (although a bit bit somehow finds itself in the blood). The paper I posted does an excellent job of explaining transport and storage as well as introduce (at least tome) a couple of new proteins. It would be well worth anyone who can't raise their ferritin to have their IL-6 tested. In that case lactoferrin may help.

alex3619

It is generally regarded that transferrin is a transport protein, and ferritin is a storage protein. However ferritin is needed for large scale transport of iron. Both these proteins bind to iron and enable it to move around safely, or be stored safely. Iron is highly toxic. When iron levels go up too high it is mostly ferritin that goes up to try to contain it so far as I am aware. However a key feature in testing is how much iron is bound to both ferritin and transferrin.

There are some people with a rare form of haemochromatosis who have low ferritin. Their blood iron looks normal, little is bound to ferritin. However their liver iron keeps going up till it proves fatal unless it is treated.