• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Dose Sam-E Supplementation Help (with MethylFolate and B12)

topaz

Hi themoonisblue

Im a newbie here and was reading several threads last night and this very issue of ocd was raised and discussed.

The search feature doesnt enable one to search for "ocd" as the word is too short and an "ocd symptoms" search only seemed to focus on the key word "symptoms".

Im 99% sure it was raised in the revised protocols thread by richvank but its now 27 pages long (http://forums.phoenixrising.me/show...fied-Methylation-Protocol-Revised-as-of-Today )

Hold on, someone will point you to the exact posts soon.

In the meantime, consider adding ocd in your title as that might get the original posters attention.

Good luck

richvank

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could chime in about possible LOW dose Sam-E supplementation. Years ago I tried the standard dose of 200 mg (some take 400mg) but the GI symptoms/gas pains were unbearable! I don't recall if I had other symptoms but I know that was the main one which made me stop it.

Anyways I was reading online that some people have seen positive results with only 50mg-100 of Sam-E a day.

I am taking Methylfolate, but I am having a BAD reaction to MethylB12. The MethylB12 is giving me increased insomnia, more extreme exhaustion, restlessness, "burning head" symptoms, and weird OCD like symptoms. I do not feel like myself or "right" while on MethylB12.

HydroxyB12 dose not give any of those symptoms and seems to have a positive effect so don't know if I should just stick with that or try AdB12?

Sorry, got off track- this was really supposed to be about SamE :)

Hi, Moon.

Is there any chance that you might have a high body burden of mercury, such as from having a lot of amalgams, eating a lot of fish (including tuna) near the top of the food chain, living near a coal-fired power plant, or having a mercury spill (such as from a broken thermometer) in your living environment?

Rich

topaz

Hi

I see that you still are not getting many responses for your question (and I remain convinced that I saw the issue of OCD symptoms discussed somewhere here).

I notice that "OCD" is not showing in the main title.

Suggest: either re-post your question again with OCD in the title or add your question to the thread link above.

I am new and cannot give you much advice but if you go better on the hydroxyb12 then either stick to that or change the brand of methylb12 - I know Freddd is very particular about brands and their effectiveness.

Best

Freddd

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could chime in about possible LOW dose Sam-E supplementation. Years ago I tried the standard dose of 200 mg (some take 400mg) but the GI symptoms/gas pains were unbearable! I don't recall if I had other symptoms but I know that was the main one which made me stop it.

Anyways I was reading online that some people have seen positive results with only 50mg-100 of Sam-E a day.

I am taking Methylfolate, but I am having a BAD reaction to MethylB12. The MethylB12 is giving me increased insomnia, more extreme exhaustion, restlessness, "burning head" symptoms, and weird OCD like symptoms. I do not feel like myself or "right" while on MethylB12.

HydroxyB12 dose not give any of those symptoms and seems to have a positive effect so don't know if I should just stick with that or try AdB12?

Sorry, got off track- this was really supposed to be about SamE :)

Hi TheMoonIsBlue,

Sounds like SAM-e has kicked off cell formation and you are suffering low potassium symptoms.

Don't get confused about things, adb12 has NOTHING to do with methylation and everything to do with getting the mitochondria working at turning out ATP and for processing fatty acids for repairing the myelin.

As the range of SAM-e doses in studies has ranged from 200mg to 1600 mgs or 2400 mgs, 200 mg is on the low side. I find 100mg makes a lot of difference and 200mgs makes more and 400mgs does nothing more than 200mgs now that I have adequate Metafolin and plenty of mb12. Keep this in a sense of proportion. SAM-e is considered the "universal methylator" in the body. 100mgs of SAM-e supplies more than 1000 times as many methyl units as 1mg absorbed of methylb12.

Freddd

Hi Rich,
No. I don't eat fish or take fish oil supplements (can't tolerate them anymore) Actually had my Mercury level tested last year along with lead, arsenic, etc. I don't know the range but it was normal- not elevated. No coal plants near me :) I have tried MethylB12 in the past and had similar, though less dramatic, reactions. So Hydroxy B12 is what I will be sticking with. I probably never should have tried the MethylB12 again to be frank. I know I am burdened with viruses, herpes and probably entero, and am having extreme hormal problems-although no hormal imbalance has been detected!

I did order some Sam-E and plan on taking a low dose, 50 or 100 mg. That means I'll have to split the pill, which some sites say not to do as they are all enteric coated to protect from stomach acid, but there is no other way to get a smaller dose as 200 mg seems to be the smallest dose anyone makes. Taking it on an empty stomach should remedy the stomach acid problem hopefully. I could only find one brand that doesn't contain the dreaded Mannitol which gives me terrible gas pains like Solgars Metafolin has been.

Thanks!

Oh P.S. No Amalgams either- Thank Goodness!

P.S. Thanks Topaz- I don't know why the changed title only shows up once you click on the link? Moderators help?

Hi The MoonISBlue,

Below is a link to 100mg SAM-e. To get lower doses we worked out "Russian Doll" capsules. Put the small amount in the smallest capsule it will fit, then nest each size capsule in the next one up. You can get about 5-6 capsules inside each other with the SAM-e in the innermost one. That gives about 30 minutes delay.

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-SAMe-Nervous-System-Support-100-mg-60-Tablets/11020?at=0