• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low dose Naltrexone

Santino

Hello,

i suffer from several autoimmune diseases (vitiligo, Alopecia Areata) and some uncharacterized autoimmune processes effecting my renal and my rectum (chronic proctitis).

I could deal with all that with adjusting my diet. But I have more and more allergy like reactions or maybe detox reactions (or maybe I get MCS, nobody really knows) to nearly all supplements which would be helpful for me. Also I get more and more reactions to foods which are rich in Vitamins. These reactions are uncommon (unrelated to the usual trigger: Histamine, salicylate, allergies, etc.).

My question is if here a people with similar symptoms who have gained experience with LDN and can tell me if it is likely to help me or if it could make me worse?

Best regards

Sparrowhawk

@Santino, I have also had alopecia areata my whole life, before coming down with ME/CFS, and also developed the type of supplement and food sensitivities you mentioned (although silicates are ok for me for the moment). Do you by any chance have mercury fillings or mercury exposures? I'm trying to pursue chelation as a possible remedy for my own issues. All I can tell you is after doing very low dose DMPS chelation for a few months, my digestion is so much better than it was, and I can eat a few more foods.

Regardless, hang in there!

Santino

@Sparrowhawk I don´t know. Maybe I have problem with mercury. But I do not have any fillings. Exposures? I don´t know.

My naturopath did not want to do chelation in my case. He said it would be too dangerous...Did you have any adverse effects from the chelation?

Did you take LDN and have experiences with this?

Did you have the same symptoms from all these supplements I have?

kind regards

Last edited:

FTY

Hi, I have a question about LDN. I'm quite keen to try it but I do have problems sleeping and worried about insomnia being a side-effect. I currently take a low dose of amitriptyline (10mg) to help with sleep. Does anyone know if LDN can be taken with amitriptyline or other sleep medications, or does this inhibit the action of the LDN? I would plan to start off on a very low does of LDN - (0.25/0.5mg) to try to minimise side effects. I really can't do with any more insomnia!! Thanks.

Santino

I would ask the same question in the LDN support group. Much more likely you find answers there.

If you have sleep problems anyway, then why not just try LDN?

I also have bad sleep since 2 weeks and woke up 4 am last nights. And I asked myself if I just try LDN because if I do not sleep in any case then I can also go trough this side effect.

Some people say that they in spite of insomnia have more energy and focus when using LDN.

I would not low dose. Because with 0.25mg LDN cannot work regulating on the immune system. So you body could react to LDN, but the LDN cannot provide it´s immune system modulating (o whatever it might be) effects.

I would start with full dosage and just go back if side effects do not go away after a week or so.

So in my case, starting with 2-3mg.

I don´t know for sure of I will start as soon as it arrives. Because I have no doctor to talk about it and have many health problems. Maybe risky to do it on my own...

daisybell

Hi, I have a question about LDN. I'm quite keen to try it but I do have problems sleeping and worried about insomnia being a side-effect. I currently take a low dose of amitriptyline (10mg) to help with sleep. Does anyone know if LDN can be taken with amitriptyline or other sleep medications, or does this inhibit the action of the LDN? I would plan to start off on a very low does of LDN - (0.25/0.5mg) to try to minimise side effects. I really can't do with any more insomnia!! Thanks.
You could always take the LDN in the morning. That's what I did when I started, on the advice of my doctor. I would suggest asking a pharmacist re the possibility of interactions between meds,especially if you are not getting the LDN from your doctor...

Sparrowhawk

@Santino - yes I can't really take any supplements by mouth, I have to just get vitamins from food. I have explored topical magnesium, vitamin D, etc. which has been ok.

I have not tried LDN though it is on my short list of things to try at some point soon. Right now I am experimenting with very low dose chelation.

SOC

I have severe sleep problems, mostly with maintaining sleep. Trazodone works wonders for me. I added LDN after years of being on Trazodone with no problems and no effect on my sleep. I always take LDN at night, FWIW.

SOC

You could always take the LDN in the morning. That's what I did when I started, on the advice of my doctor. I would suggest asking a pharmacist re the possibility of interactions between meds,especially if you are not getting the LDN from your doctor...
Some people get severe depression for several hours after an LDN dose because of it's effect on endorphins. This is not true of everyone, but it is something to be aware of if you try taking it during the day. Taking it at night avoids this problem because you sleep through the low endorphin period and get the rebound effect when you are awake.

Some people get severe depression for several hours after an LDN dose because of it's effect on endorphins. This is not true of everyone, but it is something to be aware of if you try taking it during the day. Taking it at night avoids this problem because you sleep through the low endorphin period and get the rebound effect when you are awake.

so glad i came here even though i can barely read. since i had such bad experience on valcyte & got pulled off, my brain has stayed in a hyper inflammatory - reactive state. my new doc wanted to try LDN to calm things down. she prescribed 1 mg, but knowing how horribly sensitive i am i did an unscientific pinch of the powder the 1st day. immediately changed the pitch & tone of my tinnitus. bit more pressure in head areas, but that went away.

the next day i tried maybe .25 - i chose morning since my sleep wrecks so easily. i did this dose 2 days in a row & did coma death naps in the afternoon. by the 2nd day at that dose, i went into PEM. the next day i was fully crashed. did not dose in morning. diluted 1mg in 1 cup & used the same measuring spoon i had been using for the powder.

seemed to calm things down & felt better the next day. i may have done 2 days like that. then woke up yesterday with lots of brain inflammation so decided to again toss a tiny bit in morning at it to see if it changed a thing. it helped a tiny bit. we had storms go through. i got hit, but usually symptoms ease of. took my micro diluted dose last night.

today i could barely get out of bed. so depressed. heavy head pressure. have forced myself to eat 2 meals - now going into afternoon rest.. but have been crying on & off since i awoke. i was wondering if i was relapsing or if the LDN may be doing it, even at such a small dose - no other variables in play.

maddietod

@nelle I also had problems at very low doses. Even when I started at 0.1 mg (by diluting in water) and worked up slowly, I started having problems at 0.3, and had to stop at 0.5.

My doctor's theory is that the LDN does what it's supposed to, but then my immune system can't handle being suddenly re-balanced. So we're working on the immune system first.

@nelle I also had problems at very low doses. Even when I started at 0.1 mg (by diluting in water) and worked up slowly, I started having problems at 0.3, and had to stop at 0.5.

My doctor's theory is that the LDN does what it's supposed to, but then my immune system can't handle being suddenly re-balanced. So we're working on the immune system first.

this so helps me to know this, even while i am sorry you had problems as well at very low dose. i really hadn't expected to have any issues at all. especially after hearing how side effects were supposedly nonexistent. so when i started coma death napping & then went into PEM/crash i was looking around for other explanations, but really couldn't find any. then when i woke up the way i did ...& now having spent the day in such a horrific state, finally starting to lift, i have to think it is somehow related to the drug. unless one of my viruses climbed & went hugely more active.

being on it for only about a week.. & at such a low dose.. i wonder if mine is more an issue with endorphins rather than immune system. although... valcyte made me feel much the same way minus the off the hook depression...

what approach will you be using to work on immune system? how long have you been titrating in LDN?

maddietod

I tried LDN 4? 5? times over a year or more. I think my last dose was in February.

My doctor just started me on Transfer Factor Multi-Immune (from Researched Nutritionals). At some point we're going to test hormones, brain chemistry, and maybe adrenals, but I have to wait until September because of insurance issues. I'm not sure what he's going to layer in next.

Don't ask me what Transfer Factor does! At this point, I'll try almost anything that won't hurt me, and if it helps, then I'll ask him what's going on.

ahmo

thanks for those links & for sharing your experiences - were you able to continue with LDN?
Yes indeed. Nearly a year now, I'm using 4mg. Once I got up to about 3 mg, I experienced a distinct improvement in my stamina. My husband and kitty are also on LDN. it's a family affair. :cat:definitely more comfortable from her old-age aches and pains.:thumbsup:

I tried LDN 4? 5? times over a year or more. I think my last dose was in February.

My doctor just started me on Transfer Factor Multi-Immune (from Researched Nutritionals). At some point we're going to test hormones, brain chemistry, and maybe adrenals, but I have to wait until September because of insurance issues. I'm not sure what he's going to layer in next.

Don't ask me what Transfer Factor does! At this point, I'll try almost anything that won't hurt me, and if it helps, then I'll ask him what's going on.
good luck with all of it.. i hope something works for you.

Yes indeed. Nearly a year now, I'm using 4mg. Once I got up to about 3 mg, I experienced a distinct improvement in my stamina. My husband and kitty are also on LDN. it's a family affair. :cat:definitely more comfortable from her old-age aches and pains.:thumbsup:
that is great - love that all of you are benefiting. i really hope i can tolerate. i really don't understand what happened... i didn't dose last night & my mood is back to normal. but the areas of brain inflammation are back big time - especially in my ears. maybe i need to come in even lower dose or skip days.