1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Low dose Naltrexone

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Cort, Jul 22, 2009.

1. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    I started again at 0.1mg on the 13th. The next morning I had a killer headache, felt off-balance (but not spinning like vertigo), and nauseous. I haven't taken it since, but I had the headache for 5 days. The nausea went away quickly, and I've still got a tiny bit of the confusion about balance.

heapsreal likes this.
  2. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    Started at 2.25mg yesterday morning, and had the best day I've had for several months... About to take this morning's dose and hoping that yesterday wasn't a flukey coincidence!

3. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    3 months into LDN, (1.5 mg x 1 mth; 3.0 mg x 1 mth; 4.5 mg x 1 mth - will stay at 4.5 indefinitely)

Improvements:

* sleep - much improved (after initial insomnia with each dose increase)
    * anxiety - MUCH improved!!!
    * motivation - much improved; actually have a desire to accomplish things (desire, not necessarily ability)
    * incontinence - virtually gone
    * headaches - much improved (after initial worsening for a few days with each dose increase)
    * ability to communicate face to face - slightly improved, but still PEM's me
    * POTS - improved (not taking any POTS-specific drugs for now)
    * PEM - not as severe
    * sugar cravings - much improved

I believe these changes are due to the LDN, but then again I always feel a bit better in the Autumn. Time will tell - but I've actually been able to leave my home once or twice a week for very short durations.

In addition to the LDN, I've also been on Inosine for 3 months, so that could be a contributor - but I always feel better on my scheduled breaks from the Inosine.

I remain unable to tolerate folate and/or B-12.

And so it goes.

ahmo and Hanna like this.
  4. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    I'm up to 4.5mg, having stared on half that for the first week.
    Initial side effects included stomach cramps and loss of appetite, but that seems to be settling down well. I have noticed some insomnia but nothing I'm worried about.

I definitely have more energy, and particularly less brain fog which is great. The only thing I'm not sure about is how much this is just down to the LDN, and how much might be due to my thyroid levels being raised... Also I am concerned that the doctor may not be happy for me to stay on the LDN given I am hyperthyroid.. Time will tell!

SDSue likes this.
  5. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

@Sushi and others, anyone know where to get the compounded form without prescription on the net?

6. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    I gave up on the crushed pills, and started taking compounded LDN drops about 3 weeks ago. I started at 0.1mg and have worked up to 0.4mg, in the morning. I haven't had the headaches, no changes to my insomnia, huge uptick in daytime energy.

I've had a major struggle with cold-like, seasonal allergy-like symptoms, so I'm sticking with this dose until that all clears up.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  7. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
  8. fibrodude84

fibrodude84 Senior Member

Starting LDN next week. Starting low and going up. So excited to join the club. I'll give my results.

9. knackers323

@Ema thanks. I only see the 4.5 mg dose. For those that want to take a smaller dose do we open the capsule up and dose that way?

10. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I would think you would have to unfortunately. I would check with them first though I can't see why opening them would be an issue.

11. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    That's what I did... No problems except that it isn't very easy to know exactly how much you are taking!

12. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    the Yahoo lowdosenaltrexone group posts online providers of LDN. If you join, you can search the forum. If you don't find what you want, ask it again, but I know the topic's been up during the last couple months.

I open my 3mg capsules. Early on I opened them to pour out tiny amounts, now I open them to create .5mg doses as I'm increasing slowly from 3. No problem. Again, on the forum you can find suggestions re how to use 50mg tablets in solution if that's the only source you find.

Here's what I posted to that forum today: (And I craeted a new way for me to refer to the illness: ME/(cfs)...maybe that should be ME(/cfs).;)

I began LDN in July, starting with match-head size doses. I have ME/(cfs), I've followed a variety of protocols during the last 3 years that have returned me to the land of the living. I've found, as have many others w/ ME, that LDN easily sets off detox reactions. I've had plenty of that, but had already been deeply engaged in a detox protocol for the whole of this year. At the end of August I reached 3mg, 2 1/2 months. I've increased to 3.5 during the past 5 days. I'll continue to 4.5 or until I get signals to stop here and now.

What I've gotten w/ LDN is greatly increased stamina and resilience. I can only assume that the deep autoimmune inflammatory process I had has now been alleviated. My body no longer has to struggle in some deep metabolic process, and so has more energy for me to function in the world. I am very grateful.

daisybell, melamine and maryb like this.
  13. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

LDN at only 1.2 mg also seems to give me a lot better stamina and energy and endurance. I am also 3 months into a modified Cowden protocol which also seems to be helping my immune system cos so far I haven't suffered with the usual viruses I get this time of the year.

I have been on LDN for 5 months now and I am still sensitive to the dose I take hence I have not raised the dose to more than 1.2 mg.

I am always worried when I write positive reviews because in the past things have often slid back but it does rather seem that I am consistently better with only 2 bad days (due to severe migraines) in the past month.

Pam

Sushi, ahmo and melamine like this.
  14. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Re taking small doses, here's something I've copied from the yahoo forum. I was working w/ 3mg capsules, diluted it for small doses. Later I used those empty capsules, so now I fump 1/3 of a 3mg capsule into one of these empties, and can then divide that easily in half, into another empty, for my 5mg dose. Confusing??:confused:
    @knackers323 Copying some info from today's yahoo forum re where to buy:

15. knackers323

Does taking LDN have any effect on urine drug tests?

16. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    Does cannabidol work in a similar way to LDN could it be a substitute as LDN needs a prescription

17. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I don't think anyone yet fully understands how LDN works. But it is known to temporarily block the opiod receptors (for a few hours) so this would seem like a different mechanism.

LDN does need a prescription unless you buy it from India, but there are enough studies of its benefits that many doctors are willing to prescribe it.

Sushi

wastwater likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.