• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low dose Naltrexone

penny

Is the liquid pricier than the powder?
I have the liquid from Skip's Pharmacy, and it cost me $34 (with shipping across the country) for an rx of 100ml/100mg, and they include a syringe and a handy top the syringe fits into. I believe this is without insurance coverage. I'm not sure how this price compares to other forms.

Sushi's right the liquid is very convenient when you are figuring out your dosage. I've had to go down pretty low (.2-.4mg for a while) since I didn't seem to be clearing it, so the included syringe was a bit too big. I went to my regular pharamacy (CVS) and explained I had a liquid medicine and needed a small syringe and they gave me a couple for free.

One possible downside, I think the liquid doesn't have as long of a shelf life as tablets. At a such a low dose I'm not finishing mine before it 'expires'.

alice1

I've had really good half days on the ldn even at such a low dose.However when it wears off I'm experiencing what some of you have mentioned in that I become more sleepy.It's not that I'm feeling the usual fatigue it's more of a sleepy feeling.Have any of you who've had this reaction felt less of this with time?

mellster

Marco
Will be starting LDN tonight - had appt with holtorf clinic yesterday and LDN was delivered today, can't complain. Those are 4.5 mg pills compounded from their integrative pharmacy - any advice on the starting dosage? I can still break them up and pour some out and save it if 4.5 mg is too much but for 205 lbs it might be ok ;)

jstefl

Mellster

The starting dose will vary from person to person. I started at 1.5 mg, and that worked for a day or two. It seemed to build up in my system after that. I then had a nasty reaction. I ended up going to a .2 mg dose on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday's. I increased my dose in small increments every two weeks, and then added in small doses an the "off" days. After about three months, I was taking 1.5 mg every day. I am still at that dose. Taking more still leads to problems for me after 9 months of taking it.

I also found that at first, it was very stimulative, and taking it in the morning worked best for me. Taking it at night just destroyed my sleep.

Good luck.

John

richvank

Hi, all.

Low dose naltrexone is currently the highest rated treatment for fibromyalgia on the CureTogether.com patient survey. It is also the highest rated actual treatment (i.e., not counting lifestyle changes) for CFS on the CureTogether.com patient survey. As you may know, I am a proponent of methylation treatment for ME/CFS. It is running in fourth position among the actual treatments for CFS, behind low-dose naltrexone, T3, and yeast treatments, in that order.

Best regards,

Rich

penny

I've had really good half days on the ldn even at such a low dose.However when it wears off I'm experiencing what some of you have mentioned in that I become more sleepy.It's not that I'm feeling the usual fatigue it's more of a sleepy feeling.Have any of you who've had this reaction felt less of this with time?

I've never taken it in the day time so my experience might be too different to be useful, but once I got used to it, I sleep better with it than without - maybe that's because it's making me sleepy?

I did get excessive day time sleepiness when my dose was too high, but since your getting some good effect before the sleepiness (which disappeared with the high dose for me) it doesn't seem as likely.

slayadragon

Hi, all.

Low dose naltrexone is currently the highest rated treatment for fibromyalgia on the CureTogether.com patient survey. It is also the highest rated actual treatment (i.e., not counting lifestyle changes) for CFS on the CureTogether.com patient survey. As you may know, I am a proponent of methylation treatment for ME/CFS. It is running in fourth position among the actual treatments for CFS, behind low-dose naltrexone, T3, and yeast treatments, in that order.

Best regards,

Rich

This is a little misleading, Rich.

Looking at the site today, the top treatments are:

1. Take frequent short rest breaks
2. Spend time in low-stimulation environment
3. Rest
4. Personal development
5. Ignore people who think ME/CFIDS is not real
6. Avoid biotoxins
7. Meditation
8. Change job
9. Diet changes
10. Avoid known allergens
11. Wheelchair
12. LDN
13. Gluten-free diet
14. Avoid mold
15. Eliminate/reduce sugar
16. Mindfulness
17. T3
18. Inverting body position
19. Yeast treatments
20. Avoid alcohol
21. Methylation treatments
22. Oytocin
23. Diaphragmatic breathing
24. Eliminate/reduce dairy

Avoiding things that are bad for you really is a treatment! This is especially the case when it's toxin that's been shown in hundreds of studies to be poisonous (like toxic mold) rather than just something that's bad for some people who are already sick from CFS or biotoxin poisoning (like gluten or other foods).

For 26 years, CFS doctors have been trying to convince people that the cure is going to come in a pill. So far, it doesn't seem to be working that way.

People don't have to do extreme avoidance to get better from CFS, but they do need to be living in a halfway decent place. If they're not, they're not going to be able to benefit from what you misleadingly call "actual" treatments. I got extremely sick on the methylation protocol, living in a moldy house, even though I benefited from it tremendously after I got to a safe place (and I'm very grateful to you for telling us about it!). People living in moldy places also cannot successfully treat yeast, usually. And they certainly cannot detox or kill pathogens.

If you would be so kind, it would be great if you would be more careful to distinguish between palliative treatments (like getting more rest) and actual treatments (like avoiding being poisoned).

With regard to LDN: I took a 4.5 mg capsule last night. I was up, just "awake," not feeling bad, for a couple of hours in the middle of the night. This morning I feel more clear, less fuzzy, than I can remember. I'm in a good location (Wyoming), and so i don't know if this would give me the same effect in a bad location. I'm pretty impressed at how different I feel though.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this will be a good thing. I will report back.

Best, Lisa

richvank

Hi, Lisa.

Your point is well taken. I hope the LDN turns out to be a wonderful thing for you.

Best regards,

Rich

mellster

Marco
Just had my first (halved) dose of LDN of ~ 2 mg last night. Slept ok, maybe a little bit lighter, but feel great this morning - less fuzzy and clearer here as well (some fibro pain is still there). One thing I noticed within hours of taking it is that I had some lung/chest congestion akin to either mild allergic asthma or a simple chest cold yesterday and I was breathing much easier very soon and the mild chest pressure disappeared as well - didn't know that LDN seems to have anti-inflammatory effects as well. Promising start...

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Just had my first (halved) dose of LDN of ~ 2 mg last night. Slept ok, maybe a little bit lighter, but feel great this morning - less fuzzy and clearer here as well (some fibro pain is still there). One thing I noticed within hours of taking it is that I had some lung/chest congestion akin to either mild allergic asthma or a simple chest cold yesterday and I was breathing much easier very soon and the mild chest pressure disappeared as well - didn't know that LDN seems to have anti-inflammatory effects as well. Promising start...

Great initiation! Yes, LDN has pronounced anti-inflammatory action.

Sushi

alice1

i had to go off the ldn.i was finding myself shakey at 1/4 of 1 mg so i knew something was up.just got my results from a saliva test and blood work..i'm flatline on adrenals,dhea,cortisol and hormones..so.i stated taking some meds for these issues but when i feel my adrenals are in better shape i'll be hitting the ldn again.
best of luck to those who've started.

mellster

Marco
Day 3 on LDN, this time prob 2.5-3 mg - sleep a bit impaired (frequent wake-ups/urination but no issues falling back asleep), mild sweat at the start of the night, otherwise no issues. Daytime continuously improved, the constant whole body inflammatory feeling has waned a bit, no flu-like symptoms today, just a bit mushy head and tiredness (from exercising the past 2 days), fibro pain lessened, gut ok, lungs/sinuses ok (they get congested after exercise).

FunkOdyssey

In my opinion you shouldn't start paying too much attention to how you're feeling on LDN until at least 30+ days have passed, as there's some considerable adaptation that has to take place.

Both good and bad things can happen in the beginning of LDN treatment which have no bearing on how you'll do later.

*GG*

In my opinion you shouldn't start paying too much attention to how you're feeling on LDN until at least 30+ days have passed, as there's some considerable adaptation that has to take place.

Both good and bad things can happen in the beginning of LDN treatment which have no bearing on how you'll do later.

Unless you are feeling more horrible than usual, and then you should consult your Dr and perhaps lower your dosage?

GG

voner

hey:

I am posting this on this thread, because there is an interest in naltrexone on this thread, instead of posting it on the research thread.

there is a new patent online for fibromyalgia, using naltrexone and vitamin B12 etc. here is the address:

http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20110908ptan20110217387.php

the full text of the patent is not online yet -- but it will be soon.

Here is the inventor: Michael S. Felmer...

is a part owner of a company called: Premier Biomedical -- who had no earnings or no product yet, but they are going to produce a product called, Feldetrex!! , which contains low dose naltrexone and?????.. a patent will tell that. Mr./Dr. Felmer does not have an ego or anything, eh???

Here is a link to that: http://google.brand.edgar-online.co...ingHTML1?ID=8094577&SessionID=6Ch9FqxOZWkj677

it will be interesting to see what is their vitamin B12, etc combo along with low-dose naltrexone scheme.

any comments??

FunkOdyssey

Unless you are feeling more horrible than usual, and then you should consult your Dr and perhaps lower your dosage?

GG

Absolutely, starting too high with LDN can be devastating for some people with the initial flare of immune activity it often causes. Starting low and going slow is prudent IMO