• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low dose Naltrexone

JanisB

LDN incompatible with Stem Enhance

I've been on LDN since September, stopped a few times when I had trouble sleeping to see if it was the guilty culprit, but otherwise had only moderate improvement.

Recently because I've been reading a lot about stem cells, I decided to take Stem Enhance and Stem Flo. When I took my LDN at night, I got withdrawal symptoms -- like waking hot, with pit in stomach, pounding heart. I checked with my LDN supplier and asked what they thought, and they agreed with me that there could be a conflict with the PEA (phenyl ethyl amine, the endogenous endorphin in runner's high, also in low amounts in chocolate).

To back up, PEA is in pretty high doses in Stem Enhance; a similar product sold by Allergy Research is called PEA Enhance.

The good news is that I stopped the LDN and am only taking Stem Enhance and Stem Flo (2 capsules BID) and I feel much better, more positive, more energy, deeper sleep. I think the PEA is raising my total endorphin level. My plan is to take it for a week, then stop and go back on LDN for 2 weeks, then return to the Stem Tech products. They come from am MLM - www.learnmore.stemtechbiz.com. I took Stem Enhance between 2005-2007 and had fabulous results, improving to about 85-90% functioning. But I stopped after I relapsed again because it is expensive and it didn't keep me well. I still have samples around so I am trying it again.

JanisB

dsdmom

I just received my LDN today and plan using it tonight but am nervous about it. Not sure how low to start. Was thinking about .5mg but am thinking of starting lower just to see how I do. I feel like there should be a poll about side effects and improvements and dosages, etc..

Diva55

There are a number of online pharmacies that you can get it from without a prescription. It comes in 50mg Naltrexone pills which you make into your own LDN solution. I think alldaychemist.com is one of them. They are under different brand names One is Naltima but there are others I cant remember.

There's a post on this thread on how to make your own solution or you can get all the above information if you join the Yahoo health groups for LDN or look into the info on this board as it has lots of good info

http://ldn.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=links

I believe there are GP's in the States that do phone consults for prescriptions but again the above groups can give you more info.

Just found this link where it gives advice on phone consults & how to make your own etc. Don't know how up to date the info is on phone consults.

http://ldn4cancer.com/ldn_4_cancer_links.html

Good luck.
So, I tried to get my doctor to prescribe LDN to me. After doing some research on it, he said he would not prescribe it to me. How do I go about getting a prescription for it now? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

dsdmom

So last night I took .25mg. Today I can barely keep my eyes open. I mean of course I am always fatigued (aren't we all? :) ) but this is different. Also feel a bit dizzy or something. Wish I didn't have a 3.5 year old right now so that I could go back to bed.

Has anybody else had this sort of fatigue? And does it get better with time?
I really need to be able to take this drug so want to stick it out. But I also feel like I read somewhere that some doctors are now saying it's better to start up on the dosage and then back off. Not sure if that would be viable for me or maybe it would work differently? Any thoughts on this?

SaraM

I got mine from alldaychemist and it stopped working after one week. Then I tried another brand sent by a friend and I got much better results.This is just my personal experience and I hope it will be different for others if they want to try online pharmacies.

jeffrez

I got mine from alldaychemist and it stopped working after one week. Then I tried another brand sent by a friend and I got much better results.This is just my personal experience and I hope it will be different for others if they want to try online pharmacies.

which brand?

dsdmom

OK now I have a horrendous headache - the type that I got with Imunovir. I read through the 47 pages of this thread a few weeks ago and dn't have the energy to do it again - I know someone on here was having bad headaches as well. Anybody remember who that was? If you could let me know I would be grateful...I'd love to check in about what type of headaches and how long they lasted, etc. I am not going to take any tonight and maybe tomorrow I will try again. But when I got this headache from Imunovir it took 2 weeks for it to go away after I stopped it. I don't understand what it is about my immune system that is triggering these horrible headaches (that really no drug helps with). Anybody have any ideas?

leaves

Hmm I got neckcramps and some headaches too, for me took about 3 says everytime I upped the dosage...

dsdmom

OK - so it was sort of muscular (in that you had cramps?) My headaches seem very muscular to me. Were they severe or sort of just an annoyance? And did you mean 3 days, not says???

leaves

Hehe yes days..:
it felt muscular yes, but also felt like menginitis. It was very painful at one point; couldn't walk and went to hospital.

leaves

That's interesting, I hear it a lot with cfs patients ( not with others)
now on 4.5 mg can't say it helps

Diva55

I had / have the neck pain that Leaves had. Also bad headaches (although I've had a continous headache for years) and very bad pains in my face & ears radiating to my teeth.

It's difficult to sort out FM pains with what LDN might be stirring up but the neck & face pain felt new which I think added to the headaches.

I've restarted on 1.5ml after a 2 week break. I've had a difficult to describe feeling of being "alive".

I can do some chores and feel quite cheerful doing them. I can crash afterwards with awful pains which is normal but recovery times is better. Falling asleep quicker is a definite bonus. But I'm still trying to balance the benefits with what may be side effects so I'm not getting too excited yet.

I've added in Vitamin D as recommended by Stephen Dickson where I get LDN from so I'm hoping that will complement LDN.

Rrrr

i'm not following this thread (yet!) but i thought i'd post this

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 15:06:11 -0700
Subject: RE: LDN study
Thread-topic: LDN study

Good afternoon "rrrr",

We've completed our longer, larger trial of LDN in Fibromyalgia patients, and we're currently in the process of analyzing the results. We hope to have these ready for publication soon and when we've done so, we'll make an announcement on our website: snapl.stanford.edu.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Rebecca McCue
Lab Manager
Stanford Systems Neuroscience and Pain Lab
650-724-0522

dsdmom

Thanks to all for replying. Very interesting that it seems muscular with all of us. I wonder what the mechanism is behind this. As I mentioned, I had this with imunovir, which is also supposed to modulate the immune system. I just don't understand what it is doing.
Leaves- so are you without headaches now that you have been able to build up to 4.5mg?
Frank - How long have you been trying LDN and which dose did you start on? Have you havd a headache this whole time?
Diva - sounds like you are seeing some improvements. Are you able to function with these headaches? Mine are really almost debilitating. Have yours lessened with time?

I did not take any LDN last night and today was much better. I also decided I should up my magnesium since magnesium really does help me with my headaches. And I am switching types. I have been using magnesium oxide which I guess is really not absorbed well. Just bought magnesium malate. I also bought some riboflavin since that is supposed to help too. Are any of you using magnesium and if so, which type? And how much?

leaves

Yes no headaches at all anymore. I take 2 x 400 mg magnesiumcitrate daily, which is quite a lot but I tolerate it fine.
I think the headaches were either a flare of an infection or an immune response. It was. Very similar to menginitis ( nausea etc)

dsdmom

Leaves,
How long did it take for the headaches to go away? And what has your dosing schedule been? Did you get headaches each time you upped it?

awol

Hi all, for the uninitiated this thread is quite confusing. I have read most of it, but still don't have a clue if LDN would work for me or not. I was thinking of starting a poll. I propose these questions for the poll, but feel free to comment before I set it up.

Effectiveness of Immune system interventions:

I have tried LDN. For my physical symptoms it was a) practically a cure b) helpful c) ineffective
I have tried LDN. For my cognitive symptoms it was a) practically a cure b) helpful c) ineffective
I have tried Ampligen. Repeat.
I have tried ....

Help making the list of immune interventions that are relevant would be appreciated.