Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Low Dose Dextromethorphan (cough syrup) looks promising. Has anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by BeautifulDay, Oct 11, 2017.

1. MAOAr297r

MAOAr297r Senior Member

Seattle
    Well said. As someone who has struggled with dp/dr and tried low does dxm I can confirm this. Thats also the reason I wasn't given ketamine for my depression even though I was eligible . dp/dr= no fun.

BeautifulDay likes this.
  2. SueJohnPat

SueJohnPat Sue

Medford NJ
    I have taken dxm for long periods of time for a chronic cough. It did nothing for the cough but I figured it might help due to its ketamine like properties. I did not notice any improvement.

BeautifulDay likes this.
  3. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

Tried it (a couple of experiments of varying duration, recommended and lower dosage); did nothing for me.

BeautifulDay likes this.
  4. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

Vermont, school in Western MA
    I have done lots of ketamine since I initially got lyme, and before I had figured out that I probably had CFS.
    I think ketamine tended to give me great relief from a certain kind of agitated sensation in my head that was part of my illness. It's hard to explain but there are really specific sensations that i get that aren't pain but are part of being sick. Anyway ketamine would relieve this agitation similarly to gabapentin, which i was prescribed. The problem was at that point I still couldn't sleep without meds, and I felt nervous taking my sleeping meds after ketamine usage. This was kind of stupid because ketamine causes next to no respiratory depression. Anyway I'm curious to try ketamine and/or dxm now.

For the past four months I've done basically no drugs at all, just because they wear me out and i'm already too tired.

I will say this... the toxic aspects of having a hangover from a gabaergic drug are generally due to glutamate excitotoxicity, too much glutamate release causing overexcitation of neurons. I have been so, so , so much more sensitive to GABAergic hangovers since my initial Lyme diagnosis and probable CFS. I can't know that it's due to glutamate without a biopsy or something, but I can strongly suspect that that's what's going on. It has been a clear pattern. So I wonder if glutamate excess is part of CFS.

Anyone else notice this?

BeautifulDay likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.