1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Low dose beta blocker for P.O.T.S. is WORKING

Discussion in 'Problems Standing: Orthostatic Intolerance; POTS' started by BEG, May 2, 2010.

1. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I am hyper-mobile but have OI (NMH) rather than POTS. I also think that the vein valves tend to prolapse as the heart valves often do with hypermobile EDs. I find that cotton, compression knee socks help a lot if I need to be on my feet much.

Best,
    Sushi
    ahimsa likes this.
  2. Questus

Questus Senior Member

Sushi, my mother is hypermobile and 92 years old and in excellent health..Go figure. So being hypermobile is probably not that relevant to most peoples health.

I just found that it's association with POTS to be amazing. Could not have imagined that loose joints would or could also suggest loose veins and vascular system. My response to Dr. Klimas when she told me..."That blows my mind." (I always thought it just me good at yoga.)

I've been meaning to order the compression socks. I've had them many times when I was in the hospital pre-POTS and always threw them away.

Good luck with your OI.

Best, Questus
  3. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I used to teach yoga! :D

Here are some really nice compression socks. They are cotton and extremely comfortable: http://www.brightlifedirect.com/BRA....html?osCsid=afe976b51f4e22edeb688c391daf09fa

I found that I needed one size larger than the chart, but I am tall. Figures, most hypermobile ones have long limbs. EDs is a collagen dysfunction so it affects everything made of collagen.

Best,
    Sushi
  4. BEG

BEG Senior Member

Southeast US
    Just FYI:

I'm seeing a cardiologist who told me that Bystolic (beta blocker) can lower blood pressure. I had given it up anyway. He prescribed 1/2 tablet of Atenolol (25 mgs.) I found that was too much; it made me very sleepy and lethargic. Now I cut the tablet in quarters and am doing well again. After many minutes of walking and doing household tasks this morning, my heart rate was in the upper 60's, nice and steady. There was no tachycardia.

Regarding compression socks, my primary doc says to get a compression between 20 - 30. I don't know what he bases that on, however. I haven't tried them yet.

Yes, I am hypermobile, too. For as long as I can remember . . . So is my daughter who is also sick.
  5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I hope you keep finding things which are more helpful for you BEG. Have you been checked out for an EDS diagnosis? That seems to be a significant way in which hypermobility and POTS are linked, and it might offer some more useful clues.

Good luck with everything.
  6. BEG

BEG Senior Member

Southeast US

Thanks, Esther. I've tried to find the definition of EDS in the latest posts, but apparently I'm missing it. What does it mean?
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (type III is the hypermobility type).

If you do fulfil the criteria, it can be quite helpful for improving how a lot of doctors view your condition - but there are still sometimes problems even then.

See more popular forum discussions.