1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Low Cholesterol and it's role in hormones...

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by Misfit Toy, May 20, 2010.

1. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

My doctor told me yesterday that one reason that I am in perimenopause is because my cholesterol is so low. When the cholesterol is so low, you then don't make estrogen or progesterone. It affects all hormonal production. I was told this when I was 26 too. I am soon to be 40. It affects the adrenals too.

This has been an ongoing problem for me. He says that the cytokines become excited due to such low hormones and this is why I have chronic pain. I did some research, and I read that low cholesterol can go along with suicidal thinking and depression, which is what I have been experiencing as well. People with low cholesterol fail to thrive.

He said it is a conversion problem. I went and bought some liver to eat. GROSS! :(

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. awol

awol *****

I have a rather different problem. I have normal cholesterol levels, but I also have xanthomas which are supposed to be a sign of high cholesterol. My normal levels might be part of why I don't have much pain according to this explanation though...

3. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    No, but please hang in there! Hopefully some help is just around the corner! Sufferer for 7 years and still working, ughh!

See more popular forum discussions.