• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Cholesterol and it's role in hormones...

Misfit Toy

My doctor told me yesterday that one reason that I am in perimenopause is because my cholesterol is so low. When the cholesterol is so low, you then don't make estrogen or progesterone. It affects all hormonal production. I was told this when I was 26 too. I am soon to be 40. It affects the adrenals too.

This has been an ongoing problem for me. He says that the cytokines become excited due to such low hormones and this is why I have chronic pain. I did some research, and I read that low cholesterol can go along with suicidal thinking and depression, which is what I have been experiencing as well. People with low cholesterol fail to thrive.

He said it is a conversion problem. I went and bought some liver to eat. GROSS! :(

Has anyone else had this problem?

awol

I have a rather different problem. I have normal cholesterol levels, but I also have xanthomas which are supposed to be a sign of high cholesterol. My normal levels might be part of why I don't have much pain according to this explanation though...

*GG*

My doctor told me yesterday that one reason that I am in perimenopause is because my cholesterol is so low. When the cholesterol is so low, you then don't make estrogen or progesterone. It affects all hormonal production. I was told this when I was 26 too. I am soon to be 40. It affects the adrenals too.

This has been an ongoing problem for me. He says that the cytokines become excited due to such low hormones and this is why I have chronic pain. I did some research, and I read that low cholesterol can go along with suicidal thinking and depression, which is what I have been experiencing as well. People with low cholesterol fail to thrive.

He said it is a conversion problem. I went and bought some liver to eat. GROSS! :(

Has anyone else had this problem?

No, but please hang in there! Hopefully some help is just around the corner! Sufferer for 7 years and still working, ughh!