• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

low carb recipes??

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Im a low carb diet type of person and have lost 20kg over the last 2 years very slowly by cutting down carbs and feel better on this sort of diet.
I thought i would share my recipes for almond coconut biscuits or cookies as americans like to say in australia we shorten it to bikky.

100g almond meal
1 cup dessicated cocnut
2 cups splenda
2 Tbs butter
1 egg

mix it all together by hand and roll them into little balls and slightly flatten on a tray with baking paper.
pre heat oven to 180c and bake for 10min

quick easy and yum, now the splenda is suppose to have approx 25grams of carbs per cup every other ingredient is very low in carbs. Trying to work out the carb content from the box i think is misleading, googling i found it is 25grams a cup, i think if it was higher i would be able to tell after eating it as my blood sugar tends to drop after eating carbs. Lots of fibre in these little babies as well, nice and regular i must say.

So im after nice quick easy yummy low carb recipes.

cheers!!!

Those sound really nice! Here's my recipe for low-carb "chocolate muffins" which are fairly muffin-ish and also fairly low carb:

Low Carb Zucchini Muffins
(Makes approx 20 muffins)

200g cream cheese, at room temp
120g butter, at room temp
1 cup sugar or equivalent alternative sweetener
5 eggs
350g grated zucchini
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups almond meal
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts or other nuts
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 large tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
(optionally: 3/4 cup flour)

Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees. Fill 2 muffin trays with patty pans - the mix is very sticky and crumbly, you will need patty pans and not just greased trays!

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the sugar or other sweetener and beat until combined.

Beat in the eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition.

Stir in the zucchini and vanilla.

In a separate bowl mix the almond meal, coconut, cinnamon, cocoa, baking powder and salt. You can add the walnuts at this point or reserve to sprinkle them on the tops of the muffins. Add the flour now if you're using it.

Stir the dry ingredients into the zucchini mixture.

Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans - leave space at the top as they will rise more than you expect! It's better to have a larger number of very small muffins. Sprinkle walnuts on top if you didn't add them earlier.

Bake in oven for approx 60 minutes, then turn off the oven but leave the muffins in there for several hours or overnight. The muffins should be firm and drying on top when they are done.

now the splenda is suppose to have approx 25grams of carbs per cup every other ingredient is very low in carbs. Trying to work out the carb content from the box i think is misleading, googling i found it is 25grams a cup

I hate how they do that! The FDA lets something be 0 calorie if there's less than 5 calories per arbitrary "serving". Who really buys Splenda in the big bags to use a teaspoon at a time?!?

But I think you can get sucrolose without the maltodrextin filler (which is where the carbs come from) in liquid form. There's also Stevia, which works good for things that can handle a slightly bitter aftertaste (like chocolate or tea, but not ice cream), and erythritol for things that can handle a cool aftertaste (pretty much everything except chocolate).

I like Stevia cause it's completely natural. Erythritol is a sugar alcohol, but really has almost 0 calories (0.2 I think, at 70% sweetness of sugar), and gets absorbed properly so doesn't trigger the catastrophic side-effects that the other sugar alcohols do. Both are expensive, but very little stevia is needed to equal the sweetness of sugar. I just use erythritol for special baking or ice cream occasions.

maddietod

Heaps, are you off dairy as well as low carb? I am, and it limits the use of a lot of low-carb cookbooks. Elana Amsterdam posted a recipe yesterday for almond bread on her blog http://www.elanaspantry.com/. She calls it "Paleo Bread," in case you're searching later. She uses honey (and no yeast), but just a little in this recipe. Easy to sub for.

Madie

heapsreal

i still use cheese, but im mainly looking for dessert type sweets i suppose. im happy eating meat and vege. I have made a cheese cake by using the above biscuit mix for the base and use philly cheese with heaps(maybe why my name is heaps) of splenda to taste and then put it in the base and refridgerate it, its yum if your not use to sweet stuff and has good texture too.

cheers!!!

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Yum yum, great thread, and I have had such a sweet tooth lately.

I am going to try these recipes this weekend.

If you must have something sweet immediately, this is a good fix, it is in the Southbeach Diet Cookbook.

I don't remember the proportions but I just mix it to taste:

ricotta cheese
unsweetened cocoa powder
Stevia (I use Splenda because I prefer the taste)
optional: almond extract or other flavoring

It also has a nice boost of protein, so will satisfy hunger also.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
heaps, does dessicated coconut = shredded coconut? How many cookies does it make, just so I know how small to make each one?

Thx!

heapsreal

heaps, does dessicated coconut = shredded coconut? How many cookies does it make, just so I know how small to make each one?

Thx!
dessicated is abit finer, makes about 12 biscuits the size of a table spoon, shredded would do the trick. i added crushed nuts to them yesterday as well, yum!
and now there all gone.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
dessicated is abit finer, makes about 12 biscuits the size of a table spoon, shredded would do the trick. i added crushed nuts to them yesterday as well, yum!
and now there all gone.

Ahh - it's the disappearing kind of biscuits, I guess extra should be made then ;)