1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Fable known as The PACE Trial
Graham, Janelle and Bob, have once again excelled themselves with their latest take on the 'poisoned apple' that was the PACE Trial...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lots of values significantly off in Genova Nutreval

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by brainfog316, Dec 2, 2012.

1. brainfog316

brainfog316

Does anybody know how to draw conclusions from a Genova Nutreval Test, where lots of values are really out of whack? I am happy to post the test pdf itself if you tell me where to upload it. I am also open to a consultation with a doctor who has significant experience in methylation issues and the use of the Nutreval test as part of building the bigger picture.

High Red Beta-OH-Butyric Acid (BHBA)
    High Red Suberic Acid
    High Yellow 3-Methyl-4-OH-phenyglycol
    High Red Alpha-Ketoisovaleric Acid
    High Red Alpha-Ketoisocaproic Acid
    High Red Alpha-Keto-Beta-Methylvaleric Acid
    High Red 3-Hydroxypropionic Acid
    Low Red 3-Hydroxyisovaleric Acid
    Low Red Alpha-Hydroxyisobutric Acid

Low Methionine
    Low Phenylalanine
    Very high Taurine
    High Threonine
    Quite high Cystathionine
    Low Glycine
    Low Serine
    Low Ethanolamine
    High Phosphoethanolamine
    Low Phosphorine
    Almost non existent Aspartic Acid
    Low Cysteine
    Low Glutamine
    High alpha-linolenic
    High Eicosadienoic
    High Stearic
    Low Arachidic
    Low Behenic
    Hi Tricosanoic
    Low Pentadecanoic
    Low Magaric
    Low Glutathione
    Yellow Low RBC copper
    Yellow Low RBC manganese
    Yellow Low RBC potassium
    Yellow Low RBC selenium
    Red High Mercury
    Yellow high lead
    Yellow high Antimony
    Yellow high Arsenic

Thanks
  2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    brainfog316

You might try a consult with Dr. Neil Nathan. He and Rich worked together and did a study of the simplified methylation protocol. I don't know if he can consult by phone or Skype though.

Best wishes,
    Sushi
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Were vitamins or homocysteine tested at all? Cysteine is pretty essential in a lot of ways (including forming glutathione), and having a high level of its precursor (cystathionine) indicates you might not have enough B6 to help convert it.

You could try supplementing these. Though getting elements tested in your blood might give a more accurate look at what's happening. I had generally normal levels in whole blood, but low in blood cells and high in serum ... so what looks like a deficiency in urine or even whole blood might not be a simple deficiency.
  4. brainfog316

brainfog316

My bad - yes - there is a vitamin section in the lab and it is as you suspected:
    Yellow Need:
    ALA, Niacin (B3), Pyridoxine (B6), Folic Acid (B9), Cobalamin (B12), Zinc

Red Need:
    Thiamin (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Biotin (B7)

I have taken the Yasko panel and the Vitamin Diagnostics Methylation Pathways Panel, too and am waiting for both results, but I know I have probably inherited a nice list of polymorphisms from my father, who is:
    COMT --, VDR Taq+-, MAOA++, ACE++, MTHFR C677T+-, MTHFRA1298C+-, MTRR 11+-,BHMT1+-, CBS C699T+-, CBS A360A+-, SHMT+-, NOS D298E+-

Since brainfog, short term memory, focus (can't read books), fatigue, post exercise fatigue, high cholesterol are my primary complaints I assume I have inherited (but I won't act on this assumption obviously until I get my own tests back) I assume I have inherited a nice mix of those SNPs.

And yes my homocysteine is 9.1 in a range of 0-15, which while in the range is quite high I think, right?

In term of the Genova test results and recommendations: Because I am fairly sure I am mercury toxic fom the many amalgam fillings I grew up with ( and they were improperly removed at age 25) I can't just take ALA as a supplement (says Cutler) and I believe because of the possible MTHFRs I have I am not really supposed to take folic acid (which kind of rules out the Yasko Neurological Health formula for me). I could easily either find a multi B vitamin that contains the right mix or individually take the needed Bs. I am also chronically Vit D deficient which comes up nicely as soon as I start taking 6,000 units a day. The other issues with the Yasko (Holistic Heal) multi is that it has a lot of taurine and my taurine is sky high. So, technicaly I probably shouldn't take it. But I did read somewhere that the body works in mysterious ways and that a high level of blood taurine doesn't necessarily mean the body doesn't need taurine.

Sorry for the random/scattered thoughts - it's one of my symptoms.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    The good thing about the B vitamins, except B6, is that they're water-soluble, so taking too much of the others isn't a problem - any excess just gets peed out. Any intelligent B-complex (doses based on what a body typically needs, instead of "50 of everything") should be fine, though active (methyl-) forms of folate (B9) and cobalamin (B12) might be preferable.

At any rate, it's probably a good idea to avoid the cyanocobalamin form of B12, since that can leave small amounts of cyanide behind, which might be a problem if your body isn't able to detoxify it properly.

See more popular forum discussions.