1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lost the ability to vomit

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by Rolo, Feb 28, 2013.

?

Ability to vomit?

1. Yes, I'm able to vomit, and it does happen regularly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, I'm able to vomit, but it does NOT happen regularly

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. No, I'm only able to vomit when I force it.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. No, I'm not able to vomit even when I try to force it.

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Rolo

Rolo Too ill to twist

Antwerp, Belgium
    Hi,

I've noticed that I've lost my ability to vomit since I 'v been ill. I only had to vomit once in the last 10 years!

This doesn't mean I don't feel nauseous, actually I do feel regularly! I also feel the urge to vomit on a regular base, but unable to do so. Even forcing myself to vomit by putting some fingers in my throat is not working.

Is anybody else experiencing this phenomenal? All the information I find on the internet is about the opposite. The reasons why people vomit very easily and regularly.

Any idea what's causing this? The only thing I can think off is that my stomach muscles are just to weak? But there must be some other reason? Neurological maybe?

Thanks for your input?.
    Rolo

2. vamah

vamah Senior Member

Washington , DC area
    You know, I threw up once durring my first pregnancy (over 19 years ago) and haven't since. Even when I've been sick and tried to throw up because I thought I would feel better if I did. I attributed this to the fact that I HATE throwing up so much, but maybe there is a biological cause.

3. jeffrez

jeffrez Senior Member

NY
    It's almost definitely neurobiological. Kind of a strange "problem" to complain about, though!

4. golden

golden Senior Member

Clear Light
    i am too tired to vomit. it takes a lot of energy.

when i had a temp of 42° i vomited twice but then my body could not vomit anymore even though it wanted to.

this happened once out of twenty years.

i never thought about it before though.

5. valentinelynx

valentinelynx Senior Member

Tucson
    Interesting. I had lost the "ability" to vomit, even when it would have helped, when profoundly nauseated. Went through kidney stones without vomiting 5 years ago. So, I hadn't vomited for maybe 25 or more years... until this last winter, when that new horrible "stomach flu" came around. Then, I vomited 3 times, violently in a period of about 8 hours. Weird experience after so many years. But, I too, was recently wondering if this was a neurological/gastroenterological issue caused by my illness. The ME/CFS clearly hit my gut early on, as one of my first symptoms was new onset lactose intolerance. That eventually resolved with slow reintroduction of lactose and maybe by taking supplements to heal the gut.

6. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Hi Rolo, I can still vomit just fine. When I feel my normal morning nausea and if I move too quickly or get hit by a strong smell I throw up. When I get the winter vomiting bug I throw up. Only different thing is that when I get a bug and repeatedly vomit after a while I just get too weak to continue.

This is a strange disease. Early on I noticed that I didn't shiver any longer in the cold. Assume that these are neurological symptoms that vary from person to person?

7. camas

camas Senior Member

Oregon
    I've wondered about this, too. Although I've occasionally felt very queasy at times over the last 25 years of illness, the last time I actually threw up was when I had the stomach flu on Christmas of 1983.

See more popular forum discussions.