Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Lost and outcast"- Debate-article on ME in Norwegian medical newspaper

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Kalliope, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    The Norwegian senior doctor Hanne Thürmer has written a great debate article on ME in a medical newspaper. Dr. Thürmer is currently working on the RituxME trial at one of the five hospitals participating. She is also part of the medical counsel to the Norwegian ME Association.

- There are also some who earn lots of money on people's despair and bad health.I find it odd that those who might have superficial contact with a few patients have a complete overview of diagnosis, treatment and outlook.A little more humility and a little more interest to put into the field can be a start?

- Although this is a disease we can not treat, the persons who have the disease can be treated as people.

Original article

Google-translated version

Woolie, Riley, TiredSam and 30 others like this.
  2. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Excellent article.

Kalliope, the title of the article in the translated version I just read is shown as "Lost and outcast" rather than the "Forgotten and emitted" you have in the thread title. Might be worth editing the thread title if you can?

Kalliope likes this.
  3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    Sure! I just didn't agree with google's translation :cool: But I can see it might be a bit confusing with two different titles.

AndyPR likes this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

If "outcast" is too extreme, maybe the correct translation would be "forgotten and marginalised"?

AndyPR, Kalliope and JohnM like this.
  5. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Ah OK. Emitted isn't really used in English in that context, possibly excluded then might be a better option, or marginalised as A.B. suggests.

Kalliope likes this.
  6. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    My dictionary suggested expelled, pushed out, ejected and emitted as translations for "utstøtt", so I don't think "outcast" is too extreme. "Forgotten" is more precise translation than "lost", but I haven't got the brains for a complete translation of the whole article, and the google-translation is better than nothing. I do agree that one title is better than two, so I'll stick with the google-version.. But do let me know if there are any aspects with the google-translation of the article that seems unclear, and I'll try to clarify.

7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

English isn't my native language but "emitted" is never applied to people as far as I know.

Kalliope likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.