1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Lessons from ME/CFS: Finding Meaning in the Suffering
If you're aware of my previous articles here at Phoenix Rising then it's pretty clear that I don't generally spend my time musing upon the philosophy of the disease. I find it better to spend my time reading research and trying my best to break it down to its core elements and write...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Losing weight and not trying.

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by BEG, May 13, 2011.

1. BEG

BEG Senior Member

Southeast US
    Is this some kind of dream come true or the beginning of a bad downward spiral? At times, I don't have the energy for digestion. That means I don't get hungry because the last meal is still with me. After a meal, I'm totally grounded. I'm not eating large meals either, but trying to eat small meals to preserve energy. I didn't know that eating would begin to take such a large portion of my energy bank.

Anyone else with this problem? I would add, also, that this is significantly different from the person I used to be -- loved to eat.
  2. Boule de feu

Boule de feu Senior Member

Ottawa, Canada
    In the first two years, I lost about 20 pounds without trying. My normal weight is around 115.
    I could not eat that much. The nausea was too bad.
    Now, the episodes are not as long and it's easy to gain back the weight.

My digestion is pretty bad too. I need to eat often (small meals) in order to control the nausea.
  3. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Not digesting - try betaine hydrochloride to increase stomach acid. It may be a symptom of adrenal fatigue and/or methylation problems. I"ve been treating for both the past year, and this has cleared up. I don't get the vague nausea any more either.
  4. kat0465

kat0465 Senior Member

Texas
    Been there did that.
    Its gotta be something messing with our digestion, not to be gross, but I could eat a meal and hours later get so nauseated I would vomit, and the food wouldn't even be digested ;(

I lost about 45 lbs, and got down to about 108. It was scary, and no dr could tell me why I was so extremely nauseated. After almost 10 years the nausea suddenly left. Not it hits from time to time. But nothing like before.

Small, easy to digest food will help a bit. Maybe try some enzymes for digestion. Sometimes we have to do all the work ourselves, drs for the most part don't care if your nauseated, throwing up, loosing weight. As long as the blood work is clear. At least that's my experience.

At the time I went thru it, I was young and figured if the dr couldn't do anything I would just live with it.... Now I know there's so much more to our disease, it effects every part of our body.

Crystalized Ginger helped my nausea some too. Hopefully this to will pass soon, I loved to eat too!

Kat
  5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Yeah - I'm with Kat on the ginger.

I find that I need to eat a lot, am still really skinny, and get a lot worse if I go too long without food. Others are really surprised at how much I eat. If I do have to delay eating, or eat less than normal, I really feel my symptoms worsening. I find nuts to be a helpful snack to have lying around... but I find it important to make sure I eat main meals, rather than just constant snacking.

I can feel tired out by eating too... but think this is much better than the alternative of getting gradually more tired because of not eating quite enough.

Good luck with it.
  6. BEG

BEG Senior Member

Southeast US
    Thank you all for your replies. When I first got sick, I lost a lot of weight, too, but then I really balooned up thanks to becoming so sedentary. So this inablility to eat, not wanting to eat because of no appetite, and the energy drain has come out of the blue. I think because I was heavy, my doctor has blown off this weight loss. I will try your very good suggestions.
  7. jstefl

jstefl Senior Member

Brookfield, Wisconsin
    Brown eyed girl.

I went thru a weight loss when my blood pressure dropped too far. I went from 195 to 175, and was still dropping. My weight came back when I started on Midodrine to boost my blood pressure. I watched my father shrink away to almost nothing form CFS, so I tried hard to keep my weight up. It just didn't work until I got my BP back on track.

John
  8. BEG

BEG Senior Member

Southeast US
    Interesting, John. If my BP is taken in the dr.'s office it is usually 110/68. If I take it at home after light standing/walking type activity, it will be lower. What is your BP, if I may ask? Also -- I have POTS.
  9. aprilk1869

aprilk1869 Senior Member

Scotland, UK
    Are you taking any b12? Lack of appetite is a symptom of b12 deficiency. When my old dog lost her appetite the vet gave her a b12 injection and the very next day her appetite went through the roof.
  10. jstefl

jstefl Senior Member

Brookfield, Wisconsin
    When I went thru my weight loss problems, my BP had dropped to 80/50 and my pulse had slowed to 50. At that point my energy had dropped to the point where I slept almost all the time and could barely stand. If I did try to stand it was always a challenge to see how long I could be upright without passing out.

My normal BP is now around 115/70, and I do fine with that. I can stand up without thinking about it too much. Out of habit, I usually stand slowly, but I can usually jump up if I really want to. There are still times when I need to be careful, but that is not the norm now. Mornings, or when I am really tired are the worst for me.

If you have circulation problems, it is good to keep your feet elevated whenever possible. I probably look lazy, but I almost never sit without having my feet up on something.

I have also been wearing elastic stockings to help my circulation, especially in the winter. When my BP was really low, I wore the thigh high style, but now I get by with the knee highs.

John
  11. Boule de feu

Ottawa, Canada
    This is strange. We share the same BP.
    I have lightheadedness after standing or sitting a little while. My GP says that it is borderline but does nothing about it.
    I am taking B12 supplements. I have also borderline anemia.

How about you, BEG?
  12. svetoslav80

svetoslav80 Senior Member

Bulgaria
    The same with me. Digestion is one of the most energy consuming processes not only for us - PWC. Even healthy people feel tired after big meals, and because we are fatigued by default, we are two times more fatigued after meals. At least that's what I experience, and now you're telling me you have this problem too. I have even bigger problem because I'm always hungry and cannot eat small meals, I eat until I'm full. After that I usually have a period of one hour where I watch at one point and can't do almost anything else.
  13. BEG

BEG Senior Member

Southeast US
    I haven't taken B12 injections for a year now. It's not been a good year. I tested deficient about 5 years ago, and perhaps I still am.

Boule, I have no problems with anemia.
  14. Boule de feu

Ottawa, Canada

Are you taking B12 supplements?

My GP told me to take B12, vitamin D and iron.
    And it would be for the rest of my life.

See more popular forum discussions.