• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Losartan-Anyone try for Dysautonomia?

Navid

Has anyone tried Losartan for Autonomic Dysfunction problems, specifically early am wake up with huge adrenal spike: 30 point increase in HR, sweating, hot flashes, anxiety, blood pressure drop, BowelMovement, weakness, shivering, nausea and/or dry heaves. Then takes 2-3 hours to return to baseline feeling of sickness. Only med I have taken that has provided any relief is Klonopin, but am becoming acclimated to drug and do not want to raise dosage.

Considering Losartan trial based on recent studies where drug was helpful to several patients with Autonomic Dysfunction issues.

Mostly drugs give a negative reaction.

Thanks.

ryan31337

I haven't, but I do find Ivabradine (small doses, taken morning and afternoon) appears to limit the early morning waking adrenaline spikes you describe.

I also find Cetirizine helpful as there is often a histamine component to these episodes (waking up itching etc.). Circadin also seems to help keep me asleep.

Ryan

Gingergrrl

I don't have anything to add yet but am interested in this topic and want to follow & get alerts for this thread :)

Navid

I may attempt a small trial of this and see what happens. I'll keep board posted. I have a hard time with meds so even a conservative trial makes me nervous. I have tried propanalol and while it has lowered my racing heart beat during adrenal rush it leaves me exhausted I think due to dropping my already low BP.

Thanks.

ryan31337

I may attempt a small trial of this and see what happens. I'll keep board posted. I have a hard time with meds so even a conservative trial makes me nervous. I have tried propanalol and while it has lowered my racing heart beat during adrenal rush it leaves me exhausted I think due to dropping my already low BP.

Thanks.
Ivabradine, if you can get it, would be the drug of choice here for you because it does not lower BP :)

There is also much to be said for very strict activity planning/pacing. I take 3 hours to get up, have breakfast and shower, with long horizontal breaks in between. Even on the Ivabradine planning any sort of upright activity before midday is a recipe for disaster for me, it soon leads to that overstimulated feeling and subsequent surges the next day.

Thankfully with the meds I can generally do my afternoon half-day and escape unscathed, unless I'm upright for more than 10 mins at a time.

Rossy191276

Hi @Navid. I get some similar experiences when waking particularly muscle shaking. I have dysautonomia which seems to contribute to many symptoms and just wanted to say klonopin has been the drug that I’ve found useful. I also find propranolol helps reduce HR but makes me feel like a zombie so can only have a tiny dose. I also tried ivabradine very briefly in a small dose and didn’t tolerate well but can’t remember what happened now. What dose do you take klonopin at? I haven’t tried Losartan