• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Looking for low-dose b complex...

dannybex

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a low dose b-vitamin complex -- with no folic acid, and low, "balanced" levels of the other b's -- not 25 or 50mgs of each b -- but something like that more found in nature, where each b is maybe 2-5-10 times the RDA.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Crux

Hi Dan;
I have new chapter, coenzyme food complex. Each tablet has 200 mcg. of folate, though. I assumed that it was more like the folinic acid found in foods, but when I compared it to folinic, in a casual test--it seemed much more active. ( It's expensive, but iherb has it for a fair price.)

I also like unfortified nutritional yeast. Some companies sneak folic acid, etc. into it, so I read carefully. Whole Foods brand has no additives. I realize some people are sensitive to yeast, but I've never had a reaction to it.

Aileen

Dan, Obviously you are not female, however I thought I'd mention that my new naturopath is trying me on Thorne's Basic Prenatal. I am not pregnant nor planning to be but I have trouble tolerating supplements and so since this particular formula has smaller doses she thought this might be best. It has the active B's and extra iron (this might be a problem for some people) and is designed to be easy on the stomach. I have no idea how the nutrient mix would compare to what a male should have but perhaps it is worth a look. I'm just hoping I can tolerate it.

B Vitamin breakdown:
Thiamin (as Thiamin HCl) 4 mg.
Riboflavin (as Riboflavin 5'-Phosphate Sodium) 3.6 mg.
Niacin (as Niacinamide) 30 mg.
Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxal 5'-Phosphate) 10 mg.
Folate (500 mcg as Calcium Folinate and 500 mcg as L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate from L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic Acid, Glucosamine Salt) 1 mg.
Vitamin B12 (100 mcg as Adenosylcobalamin and 100 mcg as Methylcobalamin) 200 mcg.
Biotin 50 mcg.

dannybex

Hey thanks for your replies -- I appreciate them very much. The Thorne Prenatal (!!!) actually sounds like it might be a good fit. I didn't used to do well on p5p -- but could give it a try if it's not too pricey. ???

Thanks again.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
How much iron is in the Thorne prenatal? Is it taken sublingually? If it is swallowed won't the B12 be lost?

dannybex

Shoot...that Thorne would be great, but upon closer examination, it has 2,500mg of beta carotene, something I'm overloaded in thanks to years of too many carrots, sweet potatoes, etc.. (Beta carotene can inhibit thyroid function).

I'll keep looking, but if anyone has any more suggestions, they're much appreciated.

d.

Lotus97

Lucky Vitamin is having a sale on a Thorne multivitamin.
http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-17972...r-women-under-40-240-vegetarian-capsules-dail
Normally it's kind of pricey and I wouldn't recommend it, but it's marked down from 43.90 down to only $23.04 for a 240 capsule bottle. The serving size is 8 capsules, so taking only one or two at a time would essentially be like a low dose B complex. It includes R5P, P5P, folinic acid/calcium folinate, and methylfolate. Lucky Vitamin is also having a free shipping of $25 or more deal (normally it's $100). They also have free shipping if you buy $50 worth of Thorne products and also have daily deals on Metagenics and Thorne.

If someone is interested in the Thorne multivitamin I mentioned, but the sale at Lucky Vitamin has ended then I'd recommend getting it at Pureformulas instead. They have free shipping on any order and an ongoing 10% off sale if you use NEXT10 as a coupon code (different than the referral code they ask for when you sign up as a new customer.) PM me if you also want a referral code which gives you a $5.00 off coupon you can save for any order (can't be combined with the NEXT10 code though). I'm not posting the referral code here since I also get $5.00 (not that I'm judging others who do publicly post their referral codes for various shops...:rolleyes:). Thorne has other multi-dose multis besides the one I mentioned.

There's also some other brands that are cheaper than Thorne, but only have folinic acid or have 2:1 folinic acid to methylfolate ration. I don't have to post them here now, but I'll try and post them in this thread later. If I don't post in the next week PM if you're interested in the ones with only or mostly folinic acid/calcium folinate.

Lotus97

Swanson's is having a buy one get one free sale on a supplement called Fibro Essentials. It includes B1, B2, B3, B5, and choline (no B6, biotin, or folate though). Among a few other ingredients including a low dose of magnesium, TMG, and methione it also has malic acid. Malic acid is important for the Krebs Cycle and ATP. Malic acid can also help with muscle pain which is why it's being marketed to people with fibromyalgia.
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-condition-specific-formulas-fibro-essentials-90-caps
Swanson's is also having free shipping on orders $50 or more until April 30th. They also have other buy one get one free offers and items on sale. You can click the tabs at the top of the screen. The tab for the ones on sale is "Online Specials". The tab for buy one get one free is obvious. There's a promo code (SAVEATSHP) for 10% off until April 30th. If that's expired (after the 30th) there is also a promo code (DPDWEB) that includes additional items on sale and BOGOs otherwise unavailable. This lasts until May 15th. To use the code you need to go to your shopping cart and enter the code and then click on the sale tabs to see the additional offers. You can also sign up for their mailing list for promo codes or check retailmenot. If you're a first time customer you can click this link to sign up and you'll get a $5 off coupon.
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/referral/friend.html?id=c8aa721b-961f-48b9-bba7-ccd231db0f9e
I'm not sure how it works, but I think it's in the form of coupon/gift certificate which means you can use it on the same order that you use also use a promo code.
There's also some multi dose multi vitamins that can serve as a low dose b complex (as the Thorne multi I mentioned above).
This first one is called 2 per day, but it's kind of confusing because the values are for 2 tablets or 4 capsules. It only has folinic acid/calcium folinate.
http://www.integratedhealth.com/vitamin-formulas/multi-two-60-tabs.html
This one is similar to the first one except it has less copper and zinc and also less b vitamins (although some are only coenzymated which might be preferable even if the dose is lower). It also only has folinic acid/calcium folinate. There are several other differences between the two.
http://www.integratedhealth.com/hpdspec/mini-multi.html
This is similar to the first two except it has a combination of folinic acid/calcium folinate and methylfolate (66 mcg methylfolate/133 mcg folinic acid per capsule). It also has a higher amount of coenzymated B vitamins than the first two.
http://www.integratedhealth.com/hpdspec/mighty.html
This last one is for anyone who wants a very low dose of everything. The values seem quite low, but B1, B2, and B6 are in coenzymated forms and it's chewable so it can be taken sublingually to increase absorption.
http://www.integratedhealth.com/vitamin-formulas/kids-mighty-multi-chewable.html
Since it's chewable that means it also has xylitol and mannitol which might be undesired. I'm taking it now. It doesn't taste terrible, but it's still kind of gross because it takes a long time to dissolve and I think I might be sensitive to the xylitol/mannitol.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@dannybex
Just wondering if anyone had tried taking just 1 of the Thorne multi? ( daily rec dose is 8) they are a good company and it looks like a quality product.
@Lotus97
how did you go on with the Kids multi - it looks very low dose....... I wanted to get my bvit levels checked - amongst other thing and then take a low dose formula and check again in a few months to see if it was working, but don't know whether that dose would be too low, I guess low is better than nothing though.

I have the Biocare B-plus complex at present - its mostly 50mg of all the vits - I took half of one yesterday but couldn't sleep last night and had to take double Zopiclone at 2.15am. I didn't make me feel ill though which was a bonus. A whole one does.

Didn't get up 'til 12 noon - which is bad for my routine.

ahmo

maryb, I've settled on Swanson's Activated B Complex. It has the right forms of everything. But it's a 25mg complex, so I split the caps, giving me 2 daily doses of approx 12mg Bs. Working great. I used to take high dose B's, glad to be on this mini-dose. cheers, ahmo

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@ahmo
thanks so much for that - I'll have a look at the Swansons one - so you don't take 2 a day - just half of one?
Its such a problem isn't it when you can only tolerate such small doses.
I'll let you know I get on.

ahmo

@maryb, I switched when Freddd posted re high Bs pushing need for K+. Immediately I experienced a release of the remaining glitch in my post-frozen shoulder. I had this type of response when I eliminated sulfur from my diet. Bs are high sulfur.

I use a cap filler, takes about 20" to split and fill about 20-30 caps. Before this I used a Thorne B complex, but it was too high, and didn't come out of the cap easily. Be well, ahmo

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@ahmo
I'm struggling to find it in the UK. All seems to be 'ultra B' too high dose.

A cap filler is on my wish list - I wasted money recently on a set of digital scales to try help me to come off the sleep meds - I didn't use it so its just another thing stuck in my ME cupboard!!!