1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Looking for idiopathic intracranial hypertension in patients with CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Firestormm, May 21, 2013.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    Now, I am no science-:nerd: but this one does look intriguing to me. The full paper is easily accessed from HERE in the current issue of the open-access Journal of Observational Pain Medicine. It's a small study though one that should perhaps be considered for a larger effort? I don't know...

Dr Shepherd also noted that the full paper carries the acknowledgement:

Am off to read the full paper now..... :sluggish:
    Shell, Valentijn and Ember like this.
  2. John H Wolfe

John H Wolfe Senior Member

London
    'Paradoxical' OH-SH is a quirk I've experienced myself, particularly as I've started to tackle my POTS more routinely/robustly and to experiment with postural conditions:- got my bed set up (bed wedge and over-bed table) so I can have 'productive' semi-recumbent 'rest' (not quite rest but less orthostatic stress at least!)

- - -

OH-SH Paradox: Some ME/CFS patients experience supine (lying) hypertension (high blood pressure), often along with orthostatic intolerance: hypotension (low blood pressure). PWME ought therefore to take a two-pronged approach to managing OI: avoiding prolonged periods spent standing still and avoiding lying down as much as possible during the day

Many PWME wake with a headache and this may, relate to cerebral hypertension induced in a supine sleeping position, another reason not to oversleep! Transdermal nitroglycerin(smooth muscle relaxant) patches are sometimes issued to provide some relief. This supine hypertensive capacity may unfortunately be enhanced, initially at least, by efforts to mitigate against the effects of OI and nerve sensitisation by adopting recumbent/raised leg positions

See more popular forum discussions.