• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Looking for collapsable wheelchair

VeganMonkey

I am planning to buy a collapsable wheelchair so I can still go out and not get too exhausted. I have POTS so it would be handy if there is a leg rest where I can keep my legs horizontal. So far I haven't seen that option on collapsable wheelchairs.
Any ideas what would be a good type/brand?

Btw I am new here, is there a place where I can introduce myself?

Sparrow

First off, welcome! :)

I have one that folds up, and also has leg supports that can stick out in the front, and a back that reclines. At the time we got it, I was unable to tolerate being upright pretty much at all, so it was a life saver. I'm not sure what brand it is, though, and on the down side it's a little large (fit in our trunk, but barely) and was definitely much more expensive than a regular one (we got mine used).

We got it by talking with a sales rep from Shoppers Home Health Care. It wasn't an item they regularly stocked, but he was able to track one down. Maybe other stores would be able to help in a similar way if you let them know what you're looking for?

I wouldn't compromise on the legs if you can help it. They make a HUGE difference for me. And trying to ride around cross-legged to avoid them hanging down is...awkward.

Andrew

First off, welcome! :)

I have one that folds up, and also has leg supports that can stick out in the front, and a back that reclines. At the time we got it, I was unable to tolerate being upright pretty much at all, so it was a life saver. I'm not sure what brand it is, though, and on the down side it's a little large (fit in our trunk, but barely) and was definitely much more expensive than a regular one (we got mine used)..

Sounds good. What is the make and model.

VeganMonkey

We don't have wheelchair shops near me and I rarely go out, so I was hoping to buy one from EBay. But I need to figure out what the good ones are. So far I have tried out several, one I hired once and the others at museums and other places. They are all the same and very uncomfortable, you can't put your legs up and the seat and backing hurts my back and legs.