1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: In Free Fall Through the Looking Glass
Jody Smith continues to try to put into words the horror of the altered state that hobbles the brains of those with ME/CFS...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Looking for a thread that included a paper on doxy and its anti-viral effects

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by sianrecovery, Mar 28, 2013.

1. sianrecovery

sianrecovery Senior Member

Manchester UK
    Can anyone help? I remember someone posting a response to me on the subject of doxy that included an abstract of a paper referencing its anti-viral effects - but can't find it now.
    thanks

Sian
  2. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

Doxycycline or Dioxychlor??...that is an antiviral, but I think doxycyline is just for bacterial infections.
    heapsreal likes this.
  3. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Agree with spitfire it works on bacterial infections not viral infections.
    It may help with viruses in that it has anti inflammatory effects on certain infection cytokines. Other tetracyclines also have this effect as well as azithromycin. Googling doxy and inflammation will give u a few hits, its also used for inflammation in R arthritis with some positive results.
  4. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

I used dioxychlor for a virus. Not like Valtrex, or Valcyte but it works super slowly. SUPER SLOWLY. I will stick to Valtrex!
  5. sianrecovery

Manchester UK
    Someone posted the abstract of a paper a while back that looked at its anti-viral as well as antibiotic effects. I'm just trying to find it again xxx
  6. sianrecovery

Manchester UK
    Found it, will post if I can figure out why my computer doesnt want to co operate.
  7. Jarod

Jarod Senior Member

planet earth
    Doxy is also an anti-parasitic
  8. sianrecovery

Manchester UK
    Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol. 1998 Oct;20(8):643-7.

Antimurine retroviral effect of doxycycline.

Sturtz FG.

Source

Hôpital Boucicaut, Oncology Department, Paris, France. fsturtz@club-internet.fr

Abstract

The tetracycline family is composed of several molecules whose antibacterial properties are due to the fixation on the bacterial ribosomes. Among those, doxycycline is one of the most potent antibiotics for which additional features have been recently discovered. Doxycycline has been found to inhibit metalloproteinases, to decrease gelatinolytic and metastatic activities of cancer cells, to have a "chondroprotective" effect in inflammatory arthritides, and to have strong antimalarial properties. In this study, a murine retrovirus producing cell line (psi CRIP-pXT1) was incubated in variable concentrations of doxycycline. The retroviral titer of this cell line was measured by the ability to transfer resistance to G418 to NIH/3T3 cells. The retroviral titer was significantly decreased by 70% when the packaging cells had been incubated with 25 microM of doxycycline at 37 degrees C. The ID50 was around 8 micrograms/ml. Astonishingly, this effect was not observed at 32 degrees C. The mechanism of this effect is still to be determined. It may be useful to be aware of this effect for uncovering all of the possible antiviral qualities of doxycycline and its related molecules, such as glycylcyclines or anthracyclines.

See more popular forum discussions.