The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Looking for a Lab to test for Pyroluria

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by picante, Sep 4, 2015.

1. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    I've found two US labs that perform a KPU test to diagnose pyr(r)oluria:
    Does anyone have experience with either lab? Does anyone have a recommendation?

I am confused by the plethora of names for the substance(s) they are testing, especially because I keep running across the disclaimer that the "krypto" part is a misnomer.

The first lab gives a chemical name of:
    "Hydroxyhemopyrrolin-2-one (HPL)"

The second lab:
    "The chemical structure is a 2,4 dimethyl-3-ethylpyrrole."

Can anyone tell me whether they are testing the same substance?

Thanks!

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Senior Member

I don't think so. The first one is not a standard iupac name, but the "-one" at the end designates a ketone as the most oxidized functional group (this determines naming in organic chemistry). A ketone is an oxygen double bonded to a secondary carbon (the carbon is bonded to 2 other carbons). e.g. acetone

The latter appears to be an alkylpyrrole, no evidence of the ketone present. A pyrrole is a 4 carbon, 1 nitrogen ring - no oxygen is present so it's not a ketone. Methyl / ethyl groups are just alkyl groups with carbon and hydrogen.

It looks like they are different chemicals.

Whether or not those tests are equivalent (i.e. test for the same condition) - I have no idea. Not sure which question you are asking.

picante likes this.
  3. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    Thanks, @Eeyore. That's exactly what I wanted to know. And since they are not testing the same substance, I'll need to do more searching to understand which would be the best test to order.

Anybody have experience with these tests?

4. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    You can get a urine pyrrole test from Labcorp that should be covered by insurance if ordered by a physician.

Alternatively, Health Diagnostics offers this test:

https://www.forresthealth.com/kpu-test.html

If you read in the full description, they discuss the compounds measured and what they signify.

5. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    Thanks, @Ema!
    This made things a lot clearer to me:

See more popular forum discussions.