Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Longitudinal analysis of immune abnormalities in varying severities of CFS/ME patients

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Bob, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Full text available.

Longitudinal analysis of immune abnormalities in varying severities of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis patients
    Sharni Lee Hardcastle, Ekua Weba Brenu, Samantha Johnston, Thao Nguyen, Teilah Huth,Sandra Ramos, Donald Staines and Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik
    National Centre for Neuroimmunology and Emerging Diseases, Griffith University.
    Journal of Translational Medicine 2015, 13:299
    Published: 14 September 2015
    doi:10.1186/s12967-015-0653-3
    http://www.translational-medicine.com/content/13/1/299?fmt_view=classic

MeSci, Marky90, Valentijn and 10 others like this.
  2. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

Seems like the immunological research is coming in on a steady rate nowadays. Great!

Bob, Valentijn and heapsreal like this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Unfortunately it appears that we still don't know what any of these abnormalities really mean.

Sidereal, Bob and Marky90 like this.
  4. Marky90

True.. At least the abnormalities makes for hypophesises, that sometimes can be tested, and sometimes from what ive gathered of JE, thats not even possible:p

heapsreal likes this.
  5. SOC

SOC

True, but these are big steps towards sorting out what is wrong and what could be done about it.

6. Sean

Sean Senior Member

True, but it is data, and data generates and tests hypotheses.

Plus, anything that comes out of Staines' team is worth paying attention to. I have it on very good authority that he is openly dismissive of the CBT/GET model, as both causal explanation and treatment, and is also very confident that we will have a biomarker test within two years, and good treatments within five.

Yay team! :thumbsup:

MeSci, Bob, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Perhaps that should read:

and is also very confident that we will have a biomarker test in about two years, and good treatments in about five.

Marky90 likes this.
  8. Marky90

Let`s hope phase 3 of the rtx-studies come back positive. Then we may demand to try immunosuppressive treatment. we`ll actually have some treatment options!

Sean likes this.
  9. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

I don't believe there will be a test within 2 years. They will find no biomarker in the immune system. I hear that about 20 years now.

Sidereal likes this.
  10. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Natural killer cd56 bright cells could be used with the CCC and possibly use some other type of biomarker/cytokine pattern.

11. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Yes, progress has been frustratingly slow, but I think things are starting to change now... We have some of the world's highest status scientists on the case now, embarking on multi-million dollar projects, using the most cutting-edge technology. And scientific technology is evolving at an unprecedented pace; I think I recently read a quote by Ron Davis in which he said that many layers of scientific technology are now changing at a transformational pace, and that the public would see the benefits of this in the coming years. (Or words to that effect.) And we have quite a number of research groups looking for biomarkers; e.g. I think the Norwegian ontology group are looking for biomarkers, and a number of other groups are collaborating with them. Hemispherx is about to publish results from a large trial investigating NK cell function in relation to treatment with Ampligen. They seem to be indicating that they have completed an expensive study and that they have some positive results. (It might not be a biomarker for ME - but it might help distinguish potential Ampligen responders from non-responders.) So I think things are finally moving forwards, even if at a frustratingly slow pace.

MeSci, denmarkk, mango and 4 others like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Senior Member

No question about that. Furthermore, the rate of change can crank up (or down) very quickly in the right circumstances, and it is cranking up pretty quickly at the moment, after decades of barely measurable progress.

mango, SOC, Bob and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.