August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Long-term sequelae after Ebola virus disease in Bundibugyo, Uganda: a retrospective cohort study

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by leokitten, Sep 12, 2015.

1. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member

Maryland
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  2. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

All them secondary gains and false illness beliefs in Africa...

3. Denise

Denise Senior Member

4. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

wasn't there a case of a recovered american doctor who started having blurry vision and was found to have ebola still living in his eye or something?

5. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Never Give Up likes this.
  6. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

Hmmm, "Perhaps most worryingly, almost all the survivors—96 percent—reported being rejected by their communities after they were released from the hospital."

Conscious, rational worries of contagion aside, I think this is a primal instinct with which the ME/CFS community is well acquainted.

leokitten, geraldt52 and Hutan like this.
  7. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member

Maryland
    From my understanding what happened to that doctor isn't PEVDS. The eye is an immune privileged area and they've found that even after your immune system clears the virus it can stick around in the eye and in the testes, another immune privileged area.

http://www.popsci.com/why-ebola-lives-so-long-survivors-testicles

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    Valentijn likes this.
  8. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

i wonder if the post ebola syndrome might fade with time....as does the post SARS syndrome..

leokitten likes this.
  9. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Does it fade away or is it just the publicity/people who fade away?

Or perhaps like Dr Bell found in NY, people adjust to liviing with the illness, they are still very not functional, but you try to roll with the punches!

GG

leokitten, mango, Effi and 1 other person like this.
  10. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

no it actually goes away

11. Kati

Kati Patient in training

i think this is very relevant to our disease. If only we could reach out to the right people and ask to compare side by side the immune functioning of post-Ebola syndrome and patients with ME. I am very curious.

I wouldn't be surprised that millions get invested to study post-Ebola but not ME.

leokitten, mango, Countrygirl and 3 others like this.
  12. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Revolting Peasant

Scotland
    In everyone or in a majority of cases? Over what time period? I've been looking for some data on this but haven't been able to find anything. Do you have any good sources?

leokitten likes this.
  13. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Dr Lipkin must surely be the researcher to email about this. I've started two emails to him but I abandoned them because I didn't like what i'd written. (I think my brain wasn't working well at the time.) Maybe I'll have another attempt tomorrow. But if anyone else would like to pop an email his way and include links to a couple of relevant articles, that'd be great. If he could get CFS patients as a comparison group onto a study of Ebola, then that could potentially be millions of dollars of CFS research, and it might raise the profile of CFS as an immunological disease.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    leokitten, mango, Valentijn and 4 others like this.
  14. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

hi! if you are looking for info about post-SARS, please message me!

See more popular forum discussions.