• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Long-term experiences of managing CFS/ME: A qualitative study

panckage

I find it mind-blowing that she could have had so many interviews with patients and still retain the point of view nurtured in her by her professors.
Why is this so hard to believe? When I was in university the sociology department had many radical professors who were extremely prejudice. When a student would question a teacher's logic the teacher would just get angry at them. In my papers I ended up lying and including fake references. It didn't matter though as I got a good mark. It was quite easy. All I had to do was parrot the professor's baseless garbage :p

JaimeS

And you were right to post it, though I'm sure we all share your qualms. It breaks my heart to see (doubtless) bright and well-intentioned young people being led in this direction, but it's very central to the problems we face, especially in the UK. And it's important for everyone to understand that psychology training, even at doctoral level, includes very little that could be described as medicine and not much that could be described as science.

Well-put, @sarah darwins , but very sad.

JaimeS

Why is this so hard to believe? When I was in university the sociology department had many radical professors who were extremely prejudice. When a student would question a teacher's logic the teacher would just get angry at them. In my papers I ended up lying and including fake references. It didn't matter though as I got a good mark. It was quite easy. All I had to do was parrot the professor's baseless garbage :p

...and I wonder if that's what this person is doing as well. Still very not okay. You don't get to throw a patient population under the bus because you want 'Doctor' before your name.

-J

panckage

...and I wonder if that's what this person is doing as well. Still very not okay. You don't get to throw a patient population under the bus because you want 'Doctor' before your name.
-J
True but that's the point, social 'sciences' tend to be based heavily on authority (like religion) as opposed to being based on the scientific method. The problem is endemic

Why do proper research when it will just get u in trouble? :p