• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Long QT syndrome

lizw118

Hi everyone
My autonomic function doctor told me have a signs of long QT on an EKG. She said this could be due to medication but she wants to take more tests. I am on antidepressants which might make the long QT worse, I guess. Does anyone know about this condition? I have POTS, and I am wondering if the two are related.
Should I be worried about this? Does this make exercise or surgery a risk?
Thanks
Liz

LaurelW

My mom, who has CFS and is in her early 80s, has had this. It can be caused by the CFS without any other contributing factors. Heart arrhythmias are common in CFS, and nobody has really studied it except Dr. Cheney.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
Thanks. I watched the clip and it was helpful. Hmmm, long QT syndrome sounds bad.

If you have it then, yes, I do think it can be dangerous in certain situations. On the other hand, I think I remember that the TV show said that ECGs can be misleading at times. It's good that your doctor is going to do more tests to see whether this is actually a problem for you.

I hope you don't have it, but, if you do, then I hope you can manage the condition. If it is caused by a certain medication, for example, then perhaps getting off that particular medication can reverse the condition?

Sending you :hug: HUGS :hug: and wishing you all the best.